Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Nanofil Line

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Nanofil Line

Postby Gary_1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I have been using nanofil on my spinning rod for a couple of years now and love it. It has no memory and 6lb line is .005 diameter. Has anybody tried using it for tenkara?
Gary_1

Re: Nanofil Line

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 am

Hi Gary. I have never fished with a Nanofil line, which is a brand name for Dyneema type material lines and has a specific gravity of 0.97. Which is pretty close to nylon mono fishing lines in the specific gravity department. Fluorocarbon mono lines have a specific gravity of from 1.75 to 1.90, depending on different individual brand formulations. Water has a specific gravity of 1.00, so Nanofil lines should more or less float and not cast in the wind quite as well as the heavier and denser FC mono lines will perform. FC line does not absorb water and nylon does ( up to 10% of dry weight), I do not know how Dyneema/Nanofil lines compare on that score but, it should be easy enough to find out with a little research on line. I hope this is of some help to you and all....Karl
Karl Klavon

Re: Nanofil Line

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:04 pm

I happened to come across this by accident, so here it is: http://www.realfishin.com/article/berkley-nanofil-review

This line appears to have much more application for spinner-fishing and casting than tenkara.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Lines