Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Help to Understanding lines?

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Help to Understanding lines?

Postby a.mastrando » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:37 am

I stopped Tenkara for a year and a little bit fuzzy on lines.

I have #2.5 and #3.5 level lines, are the level lines more suited for nymphs?

I have the Traditional Tenkara line , is that more suited for dries?

And finally I now have the nylon line, what is this line more suited for?

Or is it just a personally preference?
a.mastrando

Re: Help to Understanding lines?

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Mastrando, I believe you are going about the line situation in an slightly in effective way by trying to assign specific fishing function types (nymph fishing VS dry fly fishing) to the different types of lines. You can use either a level line or a Traditional line (furled and tapered) for either or both wet and dry fly fishing. The way you want to fish isn't dependent on the kind of line you are using.

LEVEL LINES: Level lines are usually Fluorocarbon mono lines, which means that they can be cut to the length you need, or be shortened and/or added to for more reach when needed. FC lines are denser for their diameters than the furled and nylon lines are, so FC casts better under windy conditions but is somewhat harder to learn to cast with than tapered lines are. The main advantage to using level lines (aside of the cheaper cost and simplicity) is that they are easier to hold up and off of the water for better drag free presentations than other lines are, and holding the line off of the water is mostly what Tenkara fly fishing is all about.

TAPERED LINES: Tapered lines turn over some what more easily than level lines do, but are also usually heavier for the same line length than a level line will be. They are usually more expensive to buy and come in a fixed line length, so you do not want to be cutting and adding to your tapered lines other than with your tippet length. And depending on what the tapered line you are using is made out of (there are multi-strand, tapered, FC lines to be bought that do handle wind better than non-FC lines can). But generally tapered lines droop more than level lines do and the thicker, heavier tapered section close to the rod tip will cause your fly to be pulled on or in the water as you attempt to hold your line up and off of the water, creating drag. Drag is defined as the fly and or the line moving faster or slower than the water around it is moving (making little Vs on the water), which scares the hell out of the fish so they will be running away from your fly instead of moving toward it to take it.

NYLON LINES: Here again, nylon lines can be either level or tapered. Nylon line is lighter in weight for the same diameter and length than a comparable FC line will be, so nylon lines will be easier to hold off of the water than an equal length of FC line can be. But nylon is also more wind sensitive than an equivalent FC line will be, and may not load your rod as well as a heavier line of the same length can. Nylon takes dyes much better than FC mono will, so nylon lines can be made to be much easier for the angler to see than FC lines generally are, which I believe is its biggest advantage. But tapered nylon lines can be made to be lighter in weight than tapered lines made out of other materials that will cast well and be easier to hold off of the water than a heavier line would be.

All lines, regardless of type, are a compromise. There is no perfect T-line. What you have to do is try different lines and see which type of line you prefer for the kind of fishing that you are doing. And there is no reason that you have to go with only a single style of line. Most T-anglers carry a number of different lines for different sized streams and different angling conditions. The lines don't weigh much or take up very much room. Good luck and I hope this little essay is of some help to you and others....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 am

Floating T-lines: The one line type I did not mention in the post above is Floating T-lines, which is just a skinnier, lighter weight version of a Western PVC coated fly line. This is a line I use a lot but not for running water or small stream fishing, where holding your line up and off of the water is more or the most important part of getting good presentations.

The primary use, as I see it, for floating lines is in the fishing of stillwaters, where you do not want your line to sink and or to pull your fly under the water, and because wind will make holding your line off of the water impossible to do anyway and cause the fly to drag. Drag free drifts on stillwater is accomplished by casting into the wind and letting your line and fly drift back toward you at the speed of the surface currents the wind generates. Fly line style T-lines cast better under windy conditions than level mono and tapered FC and Nylon lines do, mostly because they weigh more. Of course this does not mean that you couldn't fish a floating line on running water, and many T-anglers like to use floating T-lines for stream fishing, but you end up giving up a good portion of your ability to hold your line up and off of the water in doing so.
Karl Klavon

Postby tsegelke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 am

I favor the furled and tapered lines since they transfer the energy better than the level lines. This makes it easier for presentation of the fly.

They both work great, and most people don't notice the difference of the lines right away.

I find it no challenge to keep the furled and tapered lines off the water unless, you are using a very long line. Tapered lines also come, or can be made, with different weights of thread. So, only in getting heavy furled lines, is it a challenge in keeping the line off the water. I run into the same challenge when using the thicker level lines.

Ultimately, it comes down to choice for you. They all work great. They all vary on thickness and weight and, they all are used for nymph, dry, and wet flies. That's the beauty of Kebari, they can imitate and fish in all three levels.

Get out on the water and have fun catching fish. Keep it simple.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Lines