Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Thin nylon line & weighed flies

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Re: Thin nylon line & weighed flies

Postby jasonkonopinski » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:54 am

I'll have to experiment with nylon lines and weighted flies, for certain.
jasonkonopinski

Re: Thin nylon line & weighed flies

Postby johnlaudenslager » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:16 am

It's been over a year since my last post on this subject, and I am still settled on 10# Amnesia as the most effective line for my fishing with weighted flies. If I had better eyesight I would use 8#. I now know that my yellow polaroids favor green line. When I tried a friend's brown polaroids I saw his red line better.

I still prefer no indicator other than the line itself.

When it comes to dealing with wind, both casting and controlling a drift in it, I'm pretty convinced the easiest way is to use heavier flies (or added weight), and a less easy but good way is to use a shorter line. I find using a heavier line has too much of a strike detection and reaction down side because of more line bowing from its own weight and from wind resistance.

The cheapest source of 100 yard spools of Amnesia I know is http://www.ebay.com/sch/Amnesia-Fishing ... 960/i.html
It's funny that if you use a search engine and not nearly the exact description the site uses, eg - amnesia fishing line & leader or amnesia memory free fishing line _# green (or red), you may not find it.

Nylon and weighted flies? Hey, those euro-competition fishermen could use fluoro and unweighted flies, but they hardly do.
johnlaudenslager

Previous

Return to Tenkara Lines