Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Best material for transition loop

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Best material for transition loop

Postby Pagirnis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:17 am

Hi everyone!
I am completely new to tenkara, so I'm sorry for stupid questions in advance.
I wanted to ask you about transition loops. I am a DIY kind of guy so I am making my own furled leaders and was wondering what is the best material to make the transition loop out of. I found very little information on the subject. It seems some use braided fishing line, some people use fly backing (either 20lb or 30lb). What do you use? I've seen many say that 30lb backing is better for 20lb one. Could you enlighten me why? And in case of thread furled leaders, why not use hitch knot on the leaders knot? Why attach transition loop? The furled leader made out of thread seems to be supple enough for hitch knot to work well, is it not?
Pagirnis

Re: Best material for transition loop

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:07 pm

I've tried all kind of backing for the transition loop and have found 30 lb. is too think, 20 lb. is OK, and 12 lb. is the best. The thinner Dacron just cinches down better. As for why you wouldn't use just the butt end of the line, again, the tapered butt is thick and won't stay cinched down as well as a thinner material like backing. Hope that helps.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Return to Tenkara Lines