Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Net gallery

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Net gallery

Postby ToddW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks for the compliment and the empathy, Advent. Ironwood(hornbeam) is described as an understory tree. They are usually small/medium sized trees with a rough bark that is described in the tree books as looking like sinewy muscles running vertically up the trunk. The leaves are sparsely toothed and and shaped like an elm leaf. It's kind of a homely tree that looks like it's reaching and twisting its way to the sunny spots in the woods. The wood is so dense and finely grained I'm amazed at how well it bends-or maybe that's why it's so good to work with.

One odd characterstic is the branches don't taper as much as other species. That means the handle portion starts out being fairly close to the diameter of the arms. Once they are joined I sand the diameter of the arms down quite a bit to increase the ratio between hoop and handle. Even with that, as long as it was laid flat, I think I could drive my truck over the hoop and it wouldn't crush.
ToddW

Postby rsetina » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 am

Where do you find your antler materials?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Net gallery - Antler Source?

Postby GregM » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:35 am

If you can't find a local hunter, try your local pet store.

Ours sells a variety of spikes for dogs to chew on, all big enough for a couple of tamos, for $10.
GregM

Re: Net gallery - Antler Source?

Postby rsetina » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm

GregM wrote:If you can't find a local hunter, try your local pet store.

Ours sells a variety of spikes for dogs to chew on, all big enough for a couple of tamos, for $10.

Thanks Greg. I'll check PetCo.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I bought a bunch a while ago on Ebay. Not the best place to do it as you can't check the quality and look ahead of time, but cheap and convenient. I bought something like 100 pieces, and probably 30 are very usable. If you know of a taxidermy shop (maybe on the road to a fishing spot), that could be a good place to go.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby dwalker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 pm

rsetina wrote:Where do you find your antler materials?

Last weekend I took a walk to inspect the beaver dam the water rodents have built about 1/2 mile down stream from my house. Their hydro-engineering is pretty impressive but they are flooding a lot of the east end of my brother-in-law's property.

During my walk in the field on the south side of the stream in front of my house I found a deer antler with five points. My son asked what I was going to do with it. I said well, maybe I would get off the i-net and try my hand at making a Japanese style fishing net called a Tamo and that it is traditional to put a deer antler tip on the end of the handle. The quick reply was no way I'm taking it. If he has hidden it in his room he has done a good job since I can't find it. Oh well. There are plenty of deer and deer hunters around here. Most nights if I look out of my windows late at night there are several deer in my yard. I should have opportunity to find another one.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby rsetina » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I went to petsmart tonight and bought a 7 inch antler. Nice and thick too. Should work very well on tue tamo I received from Daniel. Thanks so much again. It's very dificult to find good branches in So Cal.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby adventureR » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 pm

The Net Gallery is a nice feature on the forum. I found much in the way of inspiration here. My wife loves the net, and I still can't believe I made it. I decided to do a before after selection of photos here. I have a great many more ideas for Tenkara Gear, but the Tamo is a nice expression of form and function. Honors the catch, and makes fishing even more enjoyable with handmade gear.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Horn_Identity » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm

That's really nice work there adventureR.
Horn_Identity

Postby adventureR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks Horn, that Tamo is really something to see in person. I made that one for my wife. It's even better looking when she puts a fish in it.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Nets