Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Net gallery

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Net gallery

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Thank you for your comments.

All nets I am aware of just have a long splice glued together. A very few have two pins (i.e. bamboo toothpicks) inserted into them to increase strength, as my early ones have. Most, almost all except for the ones with the pins, just have a very good long splice glued together, and I think the ideal is getting a long splice, perfectly flat with each other and glued together. On my last one, after several nets, have a splice between 3 and 4" long, which I was finally able to achieve by free hand sawing the two branches separately with a lot of patience and a slow sawing. I am certain that is the best way to join them. With the thin pieces and the difference directional forces that could be exerted I think that's the only possibility.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby ToddW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys. As for selling some nets, I wouldn't be opposed to that; I'm having a hard time putting a monetary value on them, however. I would guess I put about 20-30 hrs hands on into each net, so it's definitely a labor of love since getting a reasonable hourly rate for that would be difficult, I would think.

That being said, I think it would be cool to have my nets scattered around netting fish in places I may never get to. It would also be within the Tenkara philosophy, I believe, to have the nets be a source of money to fund Tenkara gear and trips; kind of a circle-of-life thing. Another aspect is my nets aren't traditional tamos since they're made from hardwood - but maybe that's not such a big thing?

I welcome any comments or guidance on the subject. Happy fishing in 2011! Todd
ToddW

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I think for the select few nets that I do sell I will post them on ebay for bidding. Indeed they are very unique and it's hard to put a monetary value on them, and they will be worth quite a bit to someone who wants them. That would be my suggestion.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Owl Jones » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Daniel, while I entertained thoughts of making some of these.....I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to make them look as beautiful as yours. They are stellar, my friend.
Owl Jones

Postby rsetina » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 am

From what I've seen you have quite a bit if talent Owl. You should give making a net a try. It's quite enjoyable and not as difficult as you may think if you follow the steps. Daniel has posted the steps to follow through several posts.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Owl Jones » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:06 am

R-man, - - - do you think I could make silly nets? :) THAT, I might be able to pull off...but I'm normally all thumbs when it comes to building anything from scratch! :)
Owl Jones

Postby rsetina » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 am

There's lots of help here. I believe you could. I didn't think I could build a fly rod from a blank but I did and have caught leopard sharks on it. My first net wasn't as beautiful as Daniel's nets but it was functional. Here in Southern California I don't have the variety of trees I'd like to see and from you're video it seems you may find it easier to find a suitable branch.

I guess it just come down to if it's something that would interest you. Hey nothing ventured nothing gained. ;) And you seem to be a resourceful man.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby NigelB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 am

Finished a couple weeks ago, haven't had a chance to use it yet, but hopefully will on my trip to Osaka!
Attachments
Photo3.jpg
Photo2.jpg
Photo1.jpg
NigelB

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Beautifully done, Nigel!
Will be curious to know how you like the length of the handle. It seems a bit long for my personal taste, but looks very nice.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby ToddW » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey Nigel, nice looking net. I go back and forth with the long vs. short handle; they both have advantages. Your longer handle looks nicely balanced - may it net many, many fish!
ToddW

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Nets