Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Net and Frame Wrapping Experiment

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Net and Frame Wrapping Experiment

Postby rsetina » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I was having some trouble making good wraps using a mono filament so i decided to refer back to my rod making lesson and try something different. Using a needle and nylon rod wrapping thread I made the first wrap to see if it would be possible to get a good looking wrap of thread. I think it looks nice! It was alot easier than the mono and there won't be any connecting mono between wrappings. What do you guys think? I think the color match is perfect.

I'll finish it off with either head cement, knot sense, or flex cement. The flex cement might ruin the net, I'm not sure about the head cement, so maybe brushed on knot sense and the UV light pen might be the best idea. Anyone have suggestions?

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Net and Frame Wrapping Experiment

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 pm

I think this looks very nice! What kind of thread did you use? I just received some of the thread most commonly used in Japan for nets, besides nylon. I actually got two new types, one that some type of polyester floss, but after visiting Jo-ann crafts today I didn't find anything similar to it, and the other very similar to a lillian material, but thinner.

Do you really need the head cement or other adhesive on top of it? Because of the potential to want to restring it one day (or need to replace the mesh in the far future), I think keeping it simple and cleaner is the way to go. I'd personally not use any cement on it and rely on strong knots only.

I made a quick video on threading the mesh to the net the other day but it didn't turn out too good, plus I strung two new nets yesterday so I learned a couple of tricks in doing that. I'll try to get a new video on the next frame I string. But I'm attaching a couple of [not-so-good] pictures of the knots I used (based on the nets I purchased while visiting Japan). It's a very simple "knot" repeated twice on each part. For every knot make sure to pull the line tight and keep it tight as you do them.
Attachments
IMG_5617_small.jpg
IMG_5617_small.jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
IMG_5613_small.jpg
IMG_5613_small.jpg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks for the input Daniel. I think a video would be helpful, as are all your videos. I looked at and downloaded the photos posted on a site that was a link in one of the posts here but I just couldn't get the knots to stay tight. Perhaps I just need to "practice until perfect" but I thought the thread would look really nice.

I'm using Gudebrod nylon (5274) made for wrapping guides on fly rods and the match is beautiful. The thread may darken with a coating of the cement used on the rods which might make it look even better. I was thinking a thin coat would still make it possible to restring the net if I ever need to do so but I bet I'd break the frame before that. If I don't use some kind of cement I'd be afraid the knots would come loose after getting wet.

Post the video when you can and in the mean time I'll look closely at your photos here and see if I can do a better job attaching everything with mono again.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm

The thread does look pretty good, and you can probably stick with it, it's a nice match.

The trick is to get the line tight between knots. They start "settling" more easily after some 4 or 5 sets and it becomes easier. My main advice is to get a dowel/piece of wood and practice the knots to see what works and what doesn't. Also, by having one continuous string with locking knots (as opposed to separate wraps) you ensure nothing will come loose or move. I started from the same illustrations you had and looking at the nets i had in hand, but mostly just practiced several ways of doing it until it kind of came to me. In the beginning I thought I would never be able to get these knots right, but after I strung one net it became much quicker. The nets I strung yesterday took about 20-25 minutes each - including the wiring of the mesh, which is the most laborious part.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 am

I went to my desk and strung 3 knots and on the 3rd one it came to me. Your photos helped a great deal. I think I'll for go the thread for mow anyway since this tamo is my first and I think I can do a better job on the next one. Perhaps I'll try the thread wraps on the next one. I want to take this one to the Kern on Sunday so I'd like to get it strung in the next couple of days. I can always restring it later should a want to do so. It's going to take a few hours to do all the wraps. :? Tedious work.

Thanks so much for your advise and help. It's much appreciated. By the way. I have a full box of Kebari flies ready for Sunday. Different colors and materials too. It's going to be a completely Tenkara day of fishing, Should be great! :D I hope to fish circles around my buddy. :lol: Unfortunately Sherry wont be going. She's not into boulder hopping this weekend.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Return to Tenkara Nets