Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Brass Wire Question

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Brass Wire Question

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

I was wondering, because nothing has been said about the brass wire frame used to give the net it's rigidity, what process is best to join the ends of the wire? I was thinking that a clear rubber end cap might be a good way to keep the wire from rubbing on the wood and ruining the finish. Better yet, a clear plastic tube that would keep the two ends together. Both thoughts came to me as I typed this out. Weird.

At first I thought a small hole drilled into the handle to accept the wire and then a dab of epoxy to hold them in place. Any thoughts from you experts would be appreciated. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Brass Wire Question

Postby Stephen McGowen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Rick...... all of the things you mentioned aren't neccessary. The wire serves to stiffen the net edge and spread the forces around the hoop. You don't have to join the ends either, if you are nervous you can overlap the ends by an inch or so ....just leave them loose. The knots you tie to attach the net bag hold everything together nicely. I found it helpful to tie the bag to the frame in several places with temporary knots then remove them as you work your way around the hoop . I used fly line backing to tie the net bag to the hoop finally and I found that with a one inch spacing between knots that a piece three times the circumference of the hoop was necessary to do it in one piece....using one piece makes it look neater and of course the total length depends on which knots you choose. If you tie a sloppy knot , untie it and take a break. No time for short cuts at this stage.
Have fun.
Stephen McGowen

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Stephen. All very good ones I might say. I had already thought that a temporary attachment would be a good idea to hold the net to the frame as I stitched my way around it. I suppose the best way to keep a dull edge on the wire is to break it vs. cutting it. Without looking up the post, I believe it was you or Chris that mentioned that in another thread. Forgive me for not remembering or looking up the post, but whoever said it, the suggestion was a good one.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Second what Stephen says. The wire is just there to give it some firmness and hold it in place (it's not really necessary, but adds to the quality of it), and you really do not need to do much with it.
I pick a spot on the mesh bag that has a different knot at the top (all mesh will have one wider opening that is easy to spot), I start threading the wire about 2 inches to the right of that (opening facing up), that different knot will be at the middle of the frame (where the middle branch was cutoff), and you can simply overlap the wire for a couple of inches to both sides of the middle.
Does that make sense? 1 picture is worth 1,000 words. I'll try getting a picture of this shortly.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

That makes sense Daniel. A photo would also help but I get what you mean. Thanks.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 am

rsetina wrote: best way to keep a dull edge on the wire is to break it vs. cutting it. Without looking up the post, I believe it was you or Chris that mentioned that in another thread.

Wasn't me - but was a good idea. I would add, though, that another reason not to use epoxy for the wire ends is that your frame will hopefully outlast the mesh, so you'll want to be able to take the mesh and wire off to replace it.

Very much looking forward to embarking on some debarking myself.
CM_Stewart

Return to Tenkara Nets