Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New frames finished

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

New frames finished

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Just applied my last coat of tung oil (I think 7 in total) on my two latest frames. I'm very happy with them, particularly because of the work it took to find branches with flaws in them:
ImageImage
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: New frames finished

Postby Stephen McGowen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I like them! I enjoy wood with unusual flaws/figure. A metaphor for life and its toll.
Are you using those dye stains we searched out ? On my screen they are a light coffee color and very nice.
The good thing about rattan is that despite the slight size difference in a single strand , it will tolerate a bit of sanding to smooth out the bumps without loosing much strength. A useful material to adjust flex/strength of tamo hoops

Very nice Daniel....now on to the next batch !
Stephen McGowen

Postby wrknapp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Very, very nice. You are becoming quite the artisan.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Very nice frames Daniel. What brand of dye are you using? I like the brown tone you chose. It's sounds funny to read you're looking for flaws but they add so much character to the frame. I'll have to seriously start looking for more branches I can use.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Are you using those dye stains we searched out ?
What brand of dye are you using?

The dye I'm using is the one recommended by Stephen on an earlier thread, I used the "Aniline Dye by J.E.Mosers - Dark Brown Walnut L2330: (http://woodworker.com/o-s-gold-yel-oak-aniline-dye-mssu-846-444.asp?search=aniline&searchmode=2 ). This is oil-soluble and It mixes with tung oil pretty well. The darkness of the dye has to be established on the first couple of coats as it doesn't seem to get much darker in later coats. I'm still playing and learning.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:58 pm

I was sold a liquid dye that works well. It's downstairs in the garage. I'll post the brand in the morning.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Stephen McGowen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 am

Daniel....the reason the stain is not getting stonger is because you've mixed it with tung oil. After a few coats the wood isn't accepting it into its pores as the resin builds up and the tung oil sits on top. When you rub each sucessive coat, most of the tung oil comes off as you build up resins on the surface. Try mixing the dye stain with artist quality turp and staining to almost where you want it before using the tung oil stain. The stained tung oil will smooth out the dye stain/turp and even the tone a bit. Persevere.
Stephen McGowen

Postby tnitz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:13 pm

For those looking for alternative dyes, I have used Feibring's leather dye successfully. I particularly like the reddish brown (Medium Brown) for maple. It's alcohol-based and you need to remove excess once it's dry with a rag. However, it is harder to do slight tones with (it's not intended for that anyway) so really only works when you want significantly different tones. I've used the black mixed with a little brown to match some older ebony with new.

I only mention it because it may be easier for some to find. I've never tried mixing it with the finish. You can also lighten the tone or create a more varied overall tone with judicious rubbing with cotton cloth, steel wool, or scotch pads.
tnitz

Postby rsetina » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I actually used the dye almost straight from the bottle because I wasn't getting a dark enough color on the white wood. After that I used just tung oil without any dye mixed in.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

2 more nets finished

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 am

Here are the finished nets with the mesh on them:

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tenkara Nets