Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Handle length

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Handle length

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Some thoughts on the length of the net handle.
I have now fished quite a bit with 3 different nets. The first two had what I'll say have the "standard" handle length, around 10 inches. In my research I have run across many nets that have a handle as short as 6 inches, and perhaps as long as about 12 inches, but have not seen a longer handle yet. Maybe there is a reason.

These last few days I have been using my newest net, which I made with a longer handle, assuming it would help me in some way. This is about 15 inches (I haven't measured it yet though).
This is a fish I caught today, a nice brookie here in Montana:

I must say I do not like the longer handle. While I thought it would be useful, the "right" way to land a fish really is to subdue it in shallower water, grab the line and net it (this is how I learned with Dr. Ishigaki for my average fish size 6 -15"), and not to simply scoop it without touching the line. The long handle is thus not necessary. But, the main reason I didn't like it is that I always have it on my wading belt, on my back, and the longer handle makes it difficult to quickly pull the net out and use it. Plus, if I'm walking down some rocks, then the handle may get on the way. Additionally, it's very useful to taper the handle down to a smooth, low-profile end. This net has a flat end, which makes it harder to slide the net handle onto my wading belt.

So, going forward the handle of my nets will be shorter (ideal size to be determined), and I'll be cutting part of this net's handle and redoing it.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Handle length

Postby rsetina » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Interesting observations Daniel. The net I have has a handle of about 16 inches. I'll try it out when the nets arrive and we are able to purchase them and decide how long I want the handle then. Your reasons seem very reasonable for a short handle so I may be cutting it a bit shorter. I don't know if 6 inches is long enough. Off hand I would think a 10 or 12 inch handle might be optimal.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Got back home yesterday, picked Dr. Ishigaki at the airport this morning. It's great to see him again, such a nice person.

In any case, I am now able to measure the net handles. The one I had in that picture is 13" long, and I found it a bit too long. Of the 2 nets I got in Japan one is 11" the other 12 1/2", Dr. Ishigaki's brought his net, which has a 14" long handle, but the end is nicely tapered. I also received a net from Stephen, more on this later, and it has a very nice 11" handle. The one that I first used and really enjoyed the handle was 10 1/2".

So, there you have it. There are handles of all lengths, and I will ask Dr. Ishigaki more about handle lengths. But, I personally think that about 10"-11" is just ideal.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update. I measured my handle and it's 15 inches in length. I'm thinking 12 inches for my tamo. I'll like the extra length but I can always cut it shorter if it's still too long.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Tenkara Nets