Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Last tamo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Last tamo

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:15 am

This is the last tamo I plan on making and it has come full circle (pun intended). Went back to the Japanese style for the last one.
Wood is hemlock with a nice cleft branching into the hoop. Rattan wraps and the traditional deer antler tip on the handle. 27 cm hoop .... I'll wait for the tenkara net bags for this one.
I used spar varnish on this one...it is too shiny but very like the finish on the various Japanese web sites. I actually found an in- country source for finishing grade cashew oil that many Japanese use but a phone call to the supplier warned that it is quite toxic and requires special handling in use. He didn't package it in small amounts and he wasn't sure that what he had was what was used in Japan for wood finishing. He said that it was used industrially in this country.

I've always felt that these tamos are basically kind of fragile, as Daniel has sadly found out. They do have their place and use however. Don't be afraid to attempt to make one.
Attachments
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg (5.11 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg (5.5 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
Stephen McGowen

Re: Last tamo

Postby wrknapp » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 am

Interesting. Using the V-shaped slingshot configuration opens up many more branches, but I wonder if it is as strong or if it is just the look and tradition of the normal tamo that calls for the hoop branches to come off the back sides of a central branch?

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Nicely done, Stephen. That looks beautiful.

Using the V-shaped slingshot configuration opens up many more branches, but I wonder if it is as strong or if it is just the look and tradition of the normal tamo that calls for the hoop branches to come off the back sides of a central branch?

I have asked this of a net maker, and have been applying it in looking for my own branches, the v-shaped branches are normally not as strong as those where the branches fork out to the sides because of an inherent pressure on the forking point, which is more prone to cracking. I'm sure it will work fine, and will depend on the specific branch used and its angles, but the ideal branches are those that come of the back sides of a central branch.

I've always felt that these tamos are basically kind of fragile, as Daniel has sadly found out.

I think they can be slightly more fragile than a laminated net. However, I don't think they are really that fragile. I took a BIG fall, sliding about 10ft before falling about 5ft, I have a hard time believe any net would have survived that.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I am sure that this configuration is not as strong as the usual T configuration but I intend this net to be used in the true tenkara sense...small streams and SMALL fish. Can't imagine encountering a fish that weighs more than a pound where this net will be used. The "beautiful" cleft drove the design of this net from the beginning and a couple of glued rattan wraps on the handle will more than ensure re-inforcement and stress relief for the future. If I don't fall on it, all will be well. So far, this net has cost me $4.57..... ( not counting the 25 years I spent growing the tree and the drying and fabrication time ).

Must confess I usually don't carry a net on small streams and, over the years, have gotten adept at releasing small fish without touching them by grabbing the fly and adding a twist. This tamo will probably spend most of its time at home hanging on the wall.
Stephen McGowen

Return to Tenkara Nets