Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Finishes

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Finishes

Postby Stephen McGowen » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 pm

I think this is the fellow that tnitz was writing about....you'd have to make a specific request for the cashew oil....

http://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/maint.htm
Stephen McGowen

Postby Baby Dom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

You may want to try Mr. T. Matsushima at oldschoolshaving.net for urushi. He offered it in small quantities for the reinforcement of cracks in whetstones in the past.
Baby Dom

Postby tnitz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:31 am

I haven't used it, read some about it. It is expensive and hard to get is all I really know. If you search for "saya" (katana scabbord) finishing or refinishing, you can find some forums and discussions of people who have used it.

I would think your best bet, though, would be to contact Fred Lohman (his contact info is at www.japanese-swords.com) who does restoration work on old scabbords and katana. Like a net, a scabbord's finish needs to be relatively durable so it may work well.

What I would wonder about is how fragile the lacquer coating really is. The difference between an oil finish and lacquer is that the lacquer kinda floats on the top before drying whereas the oil would soak in and repeated applications will continue to soak in where the oil wasn't absorbed or had worn away. But both are easily repaired.

Anyway, Lohman has Cashew Lacquer for $65/half liter. (Production katanas and even many custom today use "piano lacquer" instead - I think it is because it builds quicker and can be sprayed)
tnitz

Postby tnitz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 am

This website appears to have some good info and links:

http://www.hyper-cafe.com/index.php?action=coating
tnitz

Postby rsetina » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:51 am

From reading what's on the back of the can of Cashew Urushi I'm not sure it should be used on the tamo nets. The instructions indicate it's for use on indoor wood. I'll stick with the tung oil and see how it holds up with use.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Stephen,
I'm intrigued by the Heritage finish you mentioned:
Had breakfast this AM with an old friend who happens to be a cabinetmaker. We chated about the latest finishes and stains and he recommended a staining agent that he really loves because of its diversity. It is a dye stain and is made by Heritage Finishes. You mix a few drops with your chosen finish , tung oil etc, and it provides a transparent coloring that allows the wood grain to reveal itself with complete transparency.

I haven't been able to find it so far, have you seen it around? I like the tung finish, and may stick with it, so this could be ideal for getting some nice tones on the wood.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Stephen McGowen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am

Daniel...I can't find it online either but I'll see my buddy at his shop this weekend and get the info straight off the cans. Perhaps they don't have an online outlet . Perhaps I misheard "Heritage finishes" too. Anyway, I'm on it.
What do you think of the half liter price for cashew oil ? I figure that since we aren't using Japanese wood it isn't neccesary to use expensive Japanese finishes. They call that "rationalization", I believe.
Stephen McGowen

Postby Stephen McGowen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 am

A phone call to Mike directed me here...

http://woodworker.com/o-s-gold-yel-oak- ... archmode=2

Same stuff he uses. Evidently it used to be packaged as "Heritage.....". Seems as if we find something we like and then they change it somehow.....Hey, I'm confused...sorry to confuse you too.......
Stephen McGowen

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 pm

That's exciting stuff. So many colors....
Just ordered a couple of different ones, will share the results when I can.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tenkara Nets