Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Moisture Content Readings

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Moisture Content Readings

Postby rsetina » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:34 am

After just a few days of drying and only a day and a half with the bark removed the handle is already down to 24% moisture content. I don't know what the original percentage was since my meter only goes up to 36% but it seems to me that it's drying fairly quickly. I didn't strip the smaller branches yet. I didn't want to strip them until the handle dried for a while. I thought it best to leave them with the bark on so they wouldn't dry before the handle could reach closer to the 18% of the branches. So far so good for the first try.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Moisture Content Readings

Postby rsetina » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:18 pm

I took the bark off the tamo today and I think it's turning out pretty well so far. I left just a little of the green bark on the looped branches and I'll sand that off later. I noticed that the branches have a soft center core. I'm hoping that this soft center wont weaken the net when I'm finished.

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Do you know what kind of wood that is, Rick?

My nets have been hanging for a couple of weeks now, and they really feel very dry, of course, feel doesn't mean much. I don't know how much longer I can wait! But, I must wait.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:08 pm

I don't know what kind of wood it is. It has a very smooth green bark similar to a eucalyptus tree's bark. We have a planter in our back patio and this tree started to grow and it was very close to the wall. We didn't want it to do any damage to the planter wall so we removed it and that's where it came from. The planter was too full of plants as it was so I didn't feel bad about removing it. The loop branches feel pretty strong as this point so I don't think it will be too weak to land a small fish.

I've made segmented bowl in the past and I think I might try making a tamo from several segmented pieces of wood glued together in a ring, then shape them by hand. It's not a really a traditional tamo from a tree branch but the possibilities are endless in wood species and color combinations.

Basic construction of a bowl is shown below. You can see in the large ring on the right side of the photo how it could make a very nice tamo. I'd have to replace one segment with an off set handle.

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby rsetina » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Took a reading this afternoon and the wood has dried out to 18% already. As soon and the net material comes in and I can get it ordered and delivered I can finish the tamo.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Cool.
It's drying fast, which seems to be what I'm seeing with the wood I have (though I have not meter).
The nets have been ordered, I'll be offering them in 24cm and 27cm, though all nets I make will probably be 24cm, and the actual nets will be 24cm too.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 pm

For sake of a study, and to learn more about wood and their drying timeframes today I purchased a moisture meter. I tested it on some woods, fresh tree, dry woods etc, and it seems to work very well.
Now, the weird thing, all my frames are showing a reading of 0%!
I believe I'm being careful in measuring, and I've tried different angles and positions on each of the net frames, all show a reading of 0%.

Does that make sense? Could they already be so dry?

It's been about 20 days since I picked the green branches, they feel very dry, and I'm not going to finish them yet, but wanted some input on moisture contents. I believe since they are so thin that's possible they are almost ready.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:For sake of a study, and to learn more about wood and their drying timeframes today I purchased a moisture meter. I tested it on some woods, fresh tree, dry woods etc, and it seems to work very well.
Now, the weird thing, all my frames are showing a reading of 0%!
I believe I'm being careful in measuring, and I've tried different angles and positions on each of the net frames, all show a reading of 0%.

Does that make sense? Could they already be so dry?

It's been about 20 days since I picked the green branches, they feel very dry, and I'm not going to finish them yet, but wanted some input on moisture contents. I believe since they are so thin that's possible they are almost ready.

Your branches should still have some moisture in them. What you are trying to achieve by drying is to have the wood reach the same ambient moisture content as the air around them. They shouldn't read zero. Wood tables expand and contract according to the humidity content in the air. So there should always be some moisture in the tamo wood. I don't understand why you're getting a reading of 0%. My meter's lowest reading is 6%. At this point I'm getting a reading of 14% in the handle and 10% in the loop branches which are about 1/4 in thick. Your meter must be digital. What brand and model did you purchase?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:06 am

Indeed it's a digital meter, I got one at home depot, it's made by RYOBI (model E49MM01).
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:56 pm

I purchased a more reliable moisture meter this weekend too. For the price I ended up getting one with pins. Unfortunately that will damage the wood, but I figure I'll just save a couple of test pieces when I collect wood if I can.

The current readings I got are 7% for the frame arms and 10 - 11% for the handle. Keeping in mind San Francisco is relatively humid at this time of year, and that nets are to be used in moist conditions, I think the level may actually pretty good and ready for finishing. I read if it's dried too much, swelling could occur later on, whereas if it's dried too little shrinkage will occur.

Also, it's said "In most parts of the country, the minimum moisture content that can be generally obtained in air drying is about 12 to 15 percent. Most air-dried material is usually closer to 20 percent moisture content when used."

Further, it's recommended: "Use lumber that is dried to a moisture content close to the midpoint between the high and low values the wood will attain in service."

I have no idea of knowing those numbers, but my understanding is that it doesn't have to be super dry. Plus, it seems like tung oil may allow some moisture to escape too.

-------
info from: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn226.pdf
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tenkara Nets