Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

the Ghost tamo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

the Ghost tamo

Postby Stephen McGowen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:57 pm

The Ghost tamo ! Deer antler handle, brass rod hoop and a Brodin ghost net bag. The net bag really compliments the antler. Looks like a unit.
The tether uses an antler section as a netsuke to keep the line from slipping through your obi......errr, wading belt.
It is interesting to play with the "round net idea" rather than copy the Japanese artisans. An homage...not a replica.
Attachments
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
Stephen McGowen

Re: the Ghost tamo

Postby wrknapp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Nicely done, Stephen. Where did you get the rim? I like the tether idea.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Stephen McGowen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 pm

wrknapp...Thank you for your kind words. I bent the hoop from 3/16' hard brass rod. Many tamos are 27 cm in diameter and I bent it to that size. Coincidentally , the small Brodin Ghost net is a good fit.
These antler / metal hoop tamos are very strong and slightly heavy but the weight feels good in your hand. A serious tool........for small fish!
Are you planning on making a tamo?
Stephen McGowen

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:07 pm

That's beautiful Stephen. Well done, and in a category of its own.
The brodin mesh sounds like a good option, but I'm afraid they may be a bit too heavy on pure wood nets. I have to look at my frames later and see if it's a good option.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm very impressed Stephen. Your net is beautiful and the antler really gives it a wonderful touch of, the only word I can think of is, elegance. Really outstanding work. Can you post a close up of the handle and brass rod connection? If it's not a trade secret of course. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 am

Hi Rick...it is pretty simple . I bent the hoop and then took a half inch out of the circumference as I didn't want a hole all the way through the antler. Drilled holes in the antler and epoxied the hoop in and set the angle I wanted. I filed some slots into the ends of the hoop that would be in the handle so that the epoxy would "grab" the ends and resist future torque and pulling out. When dry I drilled 1/16" holes through the antler and the rod and set stainless steel pins made from a bicycle spoke. Simple , no secrets. The epoxy might be enough on its own...I put the pins in for insurance down the road.
Stephen McGowen

Postby rsetina » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:29 am

Stephen McGowen wrote:Hi Rick...it is pretty simple . I bent the hoop and then took a half inch out of the circumference as I didn't want a hole all the way through the antler. Drilled holes in the antler and epoxied the hoop in and set the angle I wanted. I filed some slots into the ends of the hoop that would be in the handle so that the epoxy would "grab" the ends and resist future torque and pulling out. When dry I drilled 1/16" holes through the antler and the rod and set stainless steel pins made from a bicycle spoke. Simple , no secrets. The epoxy might be enough on its own...I put the pins in for insurance down the road.

Thanks for the info Stephen. Sounds like it will last for a good long time. Good idea using pins too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 am

Hi again Rick...I forgot two things. One was to thank you for your kind words of praise. Second was about further pics to post. I am a dinosaur in cyber world. I don't have a digital camera. Posting the pic of the Ghost tamo last night was the work of two friends on another computer. Sorry...something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind.
Again...thank you.
Stephen McGowen

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:11 am

This tamo is offered for sale in the marketplace section of this blog.
Stephen McGowen

Return to Tenkara Nets