Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Experiment in making a tenkara net, journal

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Experiment in making a tenkara net, journal

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 am

Hey Owl,

Thanks for joining us and the comments.
The wax is used to prevent the wood from cracking. Essentially when wood is drying moisture evaporates from the "open ends" more quickly than in the middle, and this often results in the wood cracking. The wax prevents that.
However, I have found it to be largely unnecessary as long as you leave some room for the wood to crack. So, when I cut the wood, I leave a 2+ inch stub between the two frame branches, and later cut it, and make sure the handle is longer than I'll need it and later cut it. By doing this I haven't yet had any branches cracking on the spots I wanted not to crack. However, this could possibly be because I'm in San Francisco and it's not so dry here. At the same time, one of my early branches cracked a little bit even though I had some light wax on it (but did not leave any room for cracking).
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Owl Jones » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 am

Ah, alright! I see now. The wax prevents moisture from rapidly leaving via the very end of the thing. But yes, ok....your method of allowing for the cracking makes much more sense. Any time you can eliminate a step out of a somewhat complicated process, it's a good thing. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Owl Jones

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Daniel, thank you for this thread, you're an inspiration. Next time I go on a hike I'm looking through the plethora guava trees I pass the perfect local wood for a project of this kind.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ahnkochee

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 am

Ahnkochee, How do you think the Strawberry guava would work? Have lots of those around.
I was also thinking of trying the Hau bush. I have 2 hiking sticks I made from Hau and they are light and strong.
Stan
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby chaugen1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

Wow great stuff! Daniel those nets (and fish) are beautiful. I have built a typical Brodin landing net with the laminated strips of wood bent around to make the hoop but these nets are way cooler. luckily the winter is around the corner and I'll be looking for the perfect branch! Keep you posted.

Corbin
chaugen1

Postby svdm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm new to all this, but I find the nets really inspiring!

Just to show you what you can do with this simple technology - here are a few pictures of a building I worked on a few years ago with a similar structural system. It is a Mikmaq health centre in Nova Scotia.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/in ... d_id=11560

We used a big steam tube and bent the heated trunks around a wooden jig that was built out of plywood with blocking set at the desired curves. Each set of trusses is different and it's an easy way to make adjustments as you go. The branches were saved and used to make the chords of the truss.

Maybe you could take this technique to your next project?
svdm

Postby Classic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 am

hi
Attachments
P1030477.JPG
P1030502.JPG
P1030498.JPG
Sergey
Vladivostok
Russia
Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:15 am

yet
Attachments
P1030398.JPG
P1030397.JPG
Sergey
Vladivostok
Russia
Classic

Postby adventureR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Nice Classic, the knotholes will make for great character.

And svdm, welcome to the forum. The use of techniques for making things related to a Tamo are wide ranging. Thats really interesting about the building.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby 530 613-2546 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 am

All,

Little late on this conversation but I very much enjoyed the trip! Lots of great information and I really loved the pictures. You have produced some very elegant works of art and functions!

Truly inspirational!
530 613-2546

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Nets