Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Shimano Net

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Shimano Net

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 am

Wupperfischer

Re: Shimano Net

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 am

Wupperfischer

Postby Jay K » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 pm

I own the same net, although offhand I can't remember what brand. I seem to remember not going with the Shimano-branded one (although truth be told, I think it's all from the same factory) because the folding mechanism wasn't as smooth (it's just a pliable piece of metal).

Again, great portable net.
Jay K

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I got samples of that foldable net as well as one made by/for Daiwa. Thought about offering them, as I thought they kind of went well with the tenkara rods. But, in the end I was not very pleased with their quality and felt like they offered little value over other nets, except for some portability. But, they compromised too many things for portability, and for tenkara, if one is really inclined to go portable and minimalist, I figured he wouldn't take a net, as I hadn't for years. Then there is a very cheap net that is of the same concept, http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=81_239&products_id=1421, I also gave this one a try, it's, well, not good. The mesh is horrible, and the quality very low.
The aluminum ones, like the link, are something I'm considering, but I think the wooden frames and unique tenkara net design are the right path for now.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Tenkara Nets