Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Frame joint

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Frame joint

Postby carlz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:38 am

Looking at different picture on the net it looks like some use a wrap over their scarf joint on the net frame, and some do not. I am looking for more detailed instructions on gluing this joint. Ideas on holding the joint until the glue sets up. And more information of the wrap over the joint. What material you use to wrap the joint. Do you wrap after gluing, or glue and let setup and then wrap. How to wrap the joint? Thanks for any help you can give me!!!
carlz

Re: Frame joint

Postby Markpdx » Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Carla,
I am a luthier, and one of the preferred methods among many luthiers throughout history for attaching a headstock to the neck of a guitar is the scarf joint for it's strength. The issue of strength at that point is the change in wood grain direction of a one-piece wood neck without a scarf joint. That leave one with a lot of short wood grain. The benefit of the scarf is in elongating the scarf joint as much as possible to increase its holding strength under the load of string tension.
For the net, the longer the scarf joint the stronger at that point. A very good surface to surface flat joining is critical for a good glue bond, as well as the kind of glue. Titebond III is considered a waterproof glue, but in reality it is water resistant. Most of these rating are for submerged materials. epoxy is the longest used glue for marine applications. With nets, we're not storing them underwater, so you could probably use any reliable woodworking glue. Even hide glue, which is actually the stronger glue. If you are using a traditional branch to build your net, and you are joining two rounded pieces of wood, I'd suggest planing the surfaces flat for a better glue joint. After applying the glue to both surfaces, sprinkle just a few grains of salt, pumice, or sugar on the glue surface, then clamp. The crystal shape will cause the two pieces of wood to stay in place under clamping pressure better and not "creep" of slide apart. Regular wood clamps will work so-so with their flat surfaces. Binding/wrapping the two pieces sold work better. You can use woven cotton utility chord, or even better get some of those last stretch bands people use for exercise to wrap. As you wrap the piece apply some pressure or stretch to the band. Each additional wrap will add more pressure. Let it dry 24 hours before removing tension.
Hope this helps.
TUSA Amago, TUSA Ito
Markpdx

Return to Tenkara Nets