Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Refinish TUSA Tamo Handle

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Refinish TUSA Tamo Handle

Postby MadBadger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 am

Hi I recently dropped my TUSA Tamo and slightly dented the handle and scarred the finish. I've carefully sanded the finish off and the slight dents out. What finish(s), should I put on it to protect it, waterproof it and blend back in with the old finish?

It's a lighter color wood and finish. Looks like it might have been oiled and finished with clear finish or just a clear or very light colored finish. It's an exact match of the net currently pictured as the net for sale in the accessories area of this site.
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Re: Refinish TUSA Tamo Handle

Postby MadBadger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:31 am

Wanted to follow up and report back on the finished TUSA Tamo handle. I ended up first trying a outdoor waterproof varnish spray on. That didn't go vary well. I couldn't apply it evenly. Ended up sanding that back off. Then I went with Tongue Oil and wiped it on one layer at a time. let it dry 30 minutes. Then buffed it to a smooth, non-tacky finish. I repeated that 4 times.

It looks exactly like the original finish, but not as glossy. I thought about putting a final coat of outdoor brush on varnish over it to make it glossy, but decided to leave it as is. I kind of like the semi-glossy look and this way, I can easily add additional coats of tongue oil as needed in the future.
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Return to Tenkara Nets