Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

bamboo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

bamboo

Postby Justabob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

I've a nice stand of bamboo out back and have been experimenting (unsuccessfully) withs way of shaping. I've soaked some and tried heat as well. I've taken out the hard membrane in the knuckles again without success. Anyone tried bamboo? Seems the esoterically perfect substance. I can see it finished but can't figure out a way to get there.
Justabob

Re: bamboo

Postby jd_smith » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 pm

I've never tried bamboo, but I would assume that if it were suitable net frame material, the Japanese would have been doing it for a couple of centuries by now. FFT
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby steve_boulder » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am

As it grows, isn't it quite pliable? Could you shape it then, holding it in a circular pattern exactly the size of the desired net? (Like the braided lucky bamboo...)
Ebisu - 12'
Ito - 13' to 14'-7"
Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 27 - 8'-10"
steve_boulder

Postby tsegelke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

You may need to steam it, then form it.
tsegelke

Postby rsetina » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:02 pm

If you want to try steaming the bamboo, Rockler.com has a steamer that works well if you build a good steam box. On sale right now, $15 off.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby adventureR » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:18 pm

I've heard a PVC sized however you need w/ the tube capped off on one side and steam delivered through a fitting on the other side makes a great steam box (tube). Bamboo should make a lightweight loop. There's some Chinese nets out there made with Bamboo you can find with a search. The root end of the Bamboo makes a cool looking functional handle. Can't wait to see what you come up with justaBob. Welcome to the forum.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby FishinJosh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

If you are going to steam your branch make sure you get the wood hot enough. "The general rule is one hour per inch of thickness (regardless of width)"
That came from this link
http://www.leevalley.com/en/html/05F1501ie.pdf[url]

Not everything here is applicable but the concepts can be applied to net making.
FishinJosh

Return to Tenkara Nets