Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

2014 new nets.

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

2014 new nets.

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 am

As with this hobby finding the right branch takes the time? These three were noticed during the past year while walking the dog in the local woodland. We have many Yew trees which is my preferred wood, but it's not ideal for finding many of the correct branch alignments that I'm after. These were cut a few days ago and then had the bark stripped using a gardening knife which I find ideal as the blade is curved. Limbs are then steam softened in some plastic water piping using a floor steamer. A metal food colander is then used to shape the limbs into a hoop shape which are then held with tie wraps. These now go into the front bedroom for a few months to dry out, so far I've had none crack maybe because of the fact that I'm using Yew with a tight grain? One of the reasons I'm in production again is that Sonia lost her Tamo a few weeks ago while fishing the Dee, very upset I'll have to order some Tamo lanyards before the start of the new season.

A last the new seasons nets are ready for the opening day of the Brown trout season Tomorrow, in Wales that's the 3rd of March! My net from the last few years has been given away to a real country man, not a Tenkara fisher but someone that will appreciate it. Finding nets to fit has been a real pain, if you make the frame 16inches diameter many course fishing nets will fit, in the end we used a trout landing net made by "Leeder" which cost £10 each, not a perfect fit but they will be OK. We found a great thread for attaching the net to the frame, it is a waxed linen thread bought at Hobby Craft, which I highly recommend. Not sure if we will be able to net a brown trout tomorrow as the rain has started falling again. Searching for the right branch for the frame has become an annual challenge which starts again next weekend.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Re: 2014 new nets.

Postby tsegelke » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 am

Nice nets.

Where did you find the net bag and lanyards?
tsegelke

Postby adventureR » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Yew looks very nice.
Great nets Mr. Hayes
Hope the fish find their way into them.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Billinoregon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Mr. Hayes, a Welsh descendant with surname of Powell here. I find myself wondering if the Pacific yew we have native to Oregon here and highly sought after by bowyers would have the same bending properties as your English yew. Those are some really lovely nets you have made.
Billinoregon

Return to Tenkara Nets