Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Advice for joining/gluing branch air

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Advice for joining/gluing branch air

Postby Scott Anglin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Any advice for joining/gluing branch arm? I feel pretty confident about being able to cut the branch arms but not so sure about joining/gluing them together.

My question, Do you expand the branch arms by an inch or so after the hoop is fully dried and formed before you end up cutting the branch arms? That way, when you cut the branches at an angle the hoop will be at the original circumference size when first overlapping and drying the branch arms into a hoop shape.

I did not do this on my last net and I had troubling gluing the branches together because there was to much pressure from each branch arm pulling away from each other. Basically the branches (after they were cut) were an inch or so to short and there was to much tension in the branch arms for them to be glued together.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did see Daniel's post on joining the branch arms but it did not appear to directly address the issue I am facing.

Thanks.
Scott Anglin

Re: Advice for joining/gluing branch air

Postby tsegelke » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 pm

You bend the arms in a circumference that will overlap. After drying you cut the arms so that they would touch at the joint as naturally as possible. Then you glue them together.
tsegelke

Re: Advice for joining/gluing branch air

Postby Scott Anglin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Right, but in order for the cut arm branches to touch as naturally as possible, do you make the hoop diameter approx one inch or so larger after
the hoop shape has fully dried when cutting the branch arm. That way, when you cut the branches at an angle, the branches will be at the right length for them to naturally connect and be glued together. I hope my question makes sense?
Scott Anglin

Return to Tenkara Nets