Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Preferred Glue?

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Preferred Glue?

Postby Lorenzo_1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Sorry if this subject has been covered, but I couldn't find it. What glues are preferred for the lap joint that secures the net hoop? Titebond II, Gorilla Glue, Epoxy? Thanks!
Lorenzo_1

Re: Preferred Glue?

Postby rsetina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I used epoxy. Holds well and sets quickly. Don't use Titebond II. It's only water resistant. Titebond III is the glue used for outdoor furniture. I think the bottle says waterproof after it dries.

I had a joint come apart, so I used a good sewing thread for car seats or furniture to wrap it after gluing it. In essence, I put a cast on the joint. It looks nice enough and makes the joint much stronger.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby tsegelke » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 am

Epoxy is the one that is the most waterproof. It will also hold the strongest against the flex of the wood.
tsegelke

Postby Lorenzo_1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Thank you! I meant to type Titebond III, not II, but that doesn't change a thing. Sounds like epoxy is the way to go. I appreciate the help, thanks again.
Lorenzo_1

Postby adventureR » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:54 pm

A little late chiming in here.
If the Tamo isn"t going to be left in the water for long periods of time (24 or 48 hours) a lower grade of glue will work too. Ive used interior/exterior glue on the nets I've made. Works fine even with a net submerged for many hours while fishing. The key variable I believe is the protective coating placed on the wood. As long as it's also resistant to water the craftmanship and beauty of the wood should last. http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=wood-glue
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Restewart » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:00 pm

I make bamboo rods and found that Gorilla glue works great.
Restewart

Return to Tenkara Nets