Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Best wood finishing techniques.

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Best wood finishing techniques.

Postby francisco_villa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am

Hey! I'm currently in the process of making my first tenkara net. The only thing I'm not totally sure is the wood finishing. I've tried with some kind outdoor wood varnish but it's kind of a mess. The final texture is not good so I had to sand the whole piece back again.

I've read a few posts on this forum about it. They talk about lineseed oil and tung oil. I've tried lineseed, which is the only one I've been able to find in Colombia. It looks very good but I'm afraid the effect wont last so long since the layer is so thin and the wood absorbs almost all the oil.

Anybody knows a technique that works well... leaving a silky even texture like the one you find on musical instruments for example? Is anybody aware of the kind of lacquer they use in japan for those beautiful tamos?

Thanks for your help!
francisco_villa

Re: Best wood finishing techniques.

Postby tsegelke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 am

Linseed, Tung or other oils are used with multiple applications. The early layers are absorbed into the wood and then dries there. To fully protect the wood you keep applying the oil finish until the wood is so saturated the finish ends up with an external coating too. Some apply the oil finish by soaking or submerging the whole piece in the oil for some time then hang it to dry. This takes less applications/coats, but takes a lot longer for the drying, and you have to have a lot of it to be able to let the piece soak in.

You may want to look into a Marine Epoxy. It is as messy as the outdoor varnish, but it sure is waterproof.

I use Tung Oil and a Varnish. I apply 5-10 coats of Oil treatments. Then I apply one to two coats of Varnish.
tsegelke

Postby francisco_villa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks! I'll try with ten or more layers of lineseed and see how it evolves...maybe I'll look for a spray varnish to apply over it!
francisco_villa

Postby francisco_villa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:13 pm

This is how the net is going now...I bought a mesh fabric, cutted it into parts and sewed it forming a basic cylindric shape. The texture is a bit stiff (maybe it will loose a bit in contact with the water). I'm trying to learn how to attach the mesh so thats why It appears unfinished.
Attachments
image.jpg
francisco_villa

Postby narcodog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm

If you have a store that sells firearms you may be able to get some TRU-OIL. That is a very good coating. You can leave it shinny or you can sand it and make a nice satin finish.

You just rub it in with your fingers , let it dry for an hour or so then reapply.
narcodog

Postby adventureR » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Villa,
A fine Tamo you have there.
I prefer the Spar Varnish. It's messy but worth the aggravation due to the benefits. I'm curious to hear what you try and how you like it.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby francisco_villa » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 am

It's ready! 6 or more lineseed layers plus a whole spray can of wood lacquer. I think i like the results...I'm going to test it hard this weekend on the river...I hope it will work fine.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
francisco_villa

Postby tsegelke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:35 am

looks beautiful. Enjoy it.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Nets