Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Unique net with release?

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Unique net with release?

Postby tejplunkett » Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Does anyone know about this or has used it? Saw it on a video post on Tenkara Texas. Seems cool but expensive, $140.00 + shipping! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cN7ZQU0k-g :?:
tejplunkett

Re: Unique net with release?

Postby achilles38 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:35 pm

That's an interesting net. Never touch the fish and easily release them. Minimal time on the line. Pretty cool design. I'm sure you could make your own from a net on hand for significantly less.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby craigthor » Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 pm

tejplunkett wrote:Does anyone know about this or has used it? Saw it on a video post on Tenkara Texas. Seems cool but expensive, $140.00 + shipping! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cN7ZQU0k-g :?:

That net is about $180 I spent a couple months trying to get them to return emails and posting on his videos trying to get more info on that release net. I'm not the only one that has requested info either and no one stateside has gotten a response that I know of. I gave up and picked up a Sam Lacina American Tenkara net and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your endeavor.
craigthor

Postby lolajoker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

achilles38 wrote:That's an interesting net. Never touch the fish and easily release them. Minimal time on the line. Pretty cool design. I'm sure you could make your own from a net on hand for significantly less.

I've seen that webbing material before but I can't place where I have. It's a rubber material. I think this would be an easy net to make if you could find the webbing material.
lolajoker

Postby jeffmtnman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 pm

lolajoker wrote:
achilles38 wrote:That's an interesting net. Never touch the fish and easily release them. Minimal time on the line. Pretty cool design. I'm sure you could make your own from a net on hand for significantly less.

I've seen that webbing material before but I can't place where I have. It's a rubber material. I think this would be an easy net to make if you could find the webbing material.

That material looks a lot like those stretchy fold up laundry baskets you find in the dollar store or Walmart for cheap. I'm thinking of experimenting with it myself.

Jeff
jeffmtnman

Postby dwalker » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm

craigthor wrote:That net is about $180 I spent a couple months trying to get them to return emails ...... I'm not the only one that has requested info either and no one stateside has gotten a response that I know of. .....

Reading through this thread I became curious about how to order this net. Perhaps things have changed since 2013, but I emailed Tatsurou through the contact link on the web site on Feb 4th and received his reply today 6 days later. For anyone interested in ordering this net maybe his reply will be useful. It is a unique net design, but I haven't decided if I could use it. And it is a bit pricey, but one of a kind things usually are. You create an account with j-goods at the link on the website. Log in and place the order via PayPal. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

The postage is 2,400 yen. ( ~ $20 at today's exchange rate)
In EMS to the North America
It is approximately one month until shipment.
It is possible in pay pal.
Because English is weak, it is only a requirement.
Thank you very much for your help.
tatsurou okaniwa

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:28 pm

If somebody does try to make their own, I'd be interested to see some pictures of the final product.

The "netting" is interesting, there's a video out there somewhere of him making it.
He actually punches the holes in it by hand with a tool.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 am

troutrageous1 wrote:If somebody does try to make their own,...The "netting" is interesting, there's a video out there somewhere of him making it. He actually punches the holes in it by hand with a tool.

Others are probably more of a craftsman and more creative with materials than I am. If I were to decide I could use a net like this I figure I'd spend more time & money trying to make one than if I just ordered it - thereby paying him for his effort to refine the design and saving myself the trouble. ;)

I couldn't find a video of him making the net, and I usually have pretty good luck finding such things. The earliest of his videos where I see the net in use was dated 8 July 2011. Then in mid July 2012 from one video to the next you can see the design changed a little.

In this blog post from 29 July 2012, there is a video of him fishing. Not working on the net. However, In the text below the video he wrote - I have increased the number of holes in the net and that the rubber is an ultra soft rubber and is boggy. - At least that is how it translates. The Japanese word that translates as boggy is kind of interesting. ブヨブヨ ( buyobuyo). One thinks of swampy areas as being boggy with lots of bugs - if you separate the Japanese word in two , ブヨ (buyo) translates as 'gnat' or "black flies'. Gnat Gnat . An interesting way to think of something that is spongy or soft. Like a soft belly. :?

http://blog.tenkara.com/?eid=832687

The blog video shows the older net design. Where he uses the net but releases the fish by removing the hook with his fingers.

The later model has a semi-circular flat plate at the end of the handle. With a hook or piece of metal rod bent into a half circle with a ball shape on the free end, which he uses to release the fish without touching the fish. I've never figured out how it works. He just seems to pull the fish toward the hook via the tippet and somehow, most of the time, it releases the fish from the fly. Though I suppose it only works when the fish is hooked in just the right place. You can see how it works, or how he uses it, pretty clearly in this video from Sept 2014. Thus the name for the net, the release net , リリースネット ( Rirīsunetto). ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRhMbTbYxA

D
dwalker

Postby troutrageous1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:14 am

dwalker wrote:I couldn't find a video of him making the net, and I usually have pretty good luck finding such things. The earliest of his videos where I see the net in use was dated 8 July 2011. Then in mid July 2012 from one video to the next you can see the design changed a little.

I found it. But it wasn't a video (I swear that's what I saw), rather a series of photos he posted publicly on Facebook last year, so no issues sharing here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:31 pm

In the comments it states the material used is an ultra soft silicone rubber.
Perhaps this would be a good type to try for those interested. In 1/32 or 1/16 inch thickness.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/silicone-rubber-translucent.html

Color: Translucent / Milky White
Application: Silicone o-ring, packings, gaskets, membrane switch, keypads, neuroscience applications, peripheral nerve studies and similar biomedical applications.

Getting the hole pattern correct for the needed flexibility would probably take some experimenting.

fwiw,
D
dwalker

Return to Tenkara Nets