Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

More Scottish Tamo frames...........

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

More Scottish Tamo frames...........

Postby Englander » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Hello from Scotland

Been a long time since i was on the forum ! Moved house last year first time in 18 years ! Bright side im 5 min walk from the River 8-) Down side lots of new house chores to do, i did manage to do some fishing but i still haven't finished i.e put nets on my first two Tamos which were both made from Holly tree.

I was out scouting my wee loch for the start of the season tomorrow 15th March when i spotted two or three likely Tamo trees ;)

Popped back today this time with my wee saw harvested two .....................strung them on my frames just now im pretty happy with how they are looking ................

The First is Ash wood ......................

The 2nd is Sycamore Wood...................

Im in two minds to leave the second one "teardrop" shape ?? or risk destroying it by restringing it to get a perfect circle ? if i do it slowly its possible but a good chance i could split off an arm :roll:

Stephen
Englander

Re: More Scottish Tamo frames...........

Postby SamEureka » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Englander wrote:Im in two minds to leave the second one "teardrop" shape ?? or risk destroying it by restringing it to get a perfect circle ? if i do it slowly its possible but a good chance i could split off an arm :roll:

I like the teardrop shape! The disk rig is a great idea! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing the finished tamos

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Postby adventureR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 am

Great Tamos and the forms are a good idea. I suppose if you boil or steam the Sycamore frame you can get a more rounded shape. But perhaps this will be nice to have two different net shapes too. I like em!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Englander » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Guys

Decided to leave the tear drop shaped one along, rather than possible bust it !

Cold rainy day here ........................... so I have unstrung both and stripped off the bark and restrung them im really happy with the Ash one it will be a perfect circle and Ash is really tough too, being a white wood im thinking of staining it dark brown as my Holly ones are very light natural colour.

Nothing for it now but let them dry ...............................

Really should get to finishing my Holly Tamo.............

Stephen
Englander

Postby adventureR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Nice Englander, if I were you I'd leave as many of those knots sticking out as possible. They are nice in hand while netting fish. I like them also for placing the Tamo in the wading belt or loop on my sling pack so you can feel the Tamo is in place without looking feeling the bumps or resistance.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Rob Gonzalez » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am

Great idea with the disc form for shaping!!
Rob Gonzalez
Tenkara Texas Facebook Group
Hane | Sato | Rhodo | Iwana 12' | Iwana 9'-3"
Rob Gonzalez

Return to Tenkara Nets