Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Place-holder net

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Place-holder net

Postby Charlie P. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

I've had two failed starts on a proper Tenkara net. One was a "character" damaged sapling that had rotted and partially overgrown damage at the "T" and the other was a "Y" shape. Both did not work out. So I decided to make a place-holder until I can find and shape a traditional style.

I had a fairly vintage ash bow & cotton hand-net that was in dismal shape so I cut away the netting and shellaced the ash frame. I used 16 gauge brass wire to thread the rim of a TenkaraUSA 27cm net and dipped 1/16" hemp line in melted beeswax to make the lace to hold it to the frame. Came out very well, I think. Inside dimensions of the loop are 8-1/4" at the widest by 14-1/2" long. Just right for my stream adventures.

The little white globs are the beeswax scraped off the hemp as I pulled it through the frame. It will wear off with use.

Battenkill meets Oirase Keiryū. A blend of styles.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Re: Place-holder net

Postby adventureR » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 am

Nice net Charlie, it looks like a good bag too. I await your Tamo though. They are a rewarding project. They ignite something in me with the natural shape of the branch. The feel of the Tamo in hand and visually is something words fail to discribe for me.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara Nets