Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Cheap Tamo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Cheap Tamo

Postby brant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am

I wanted to share with you guys, a great Tamo that costs very little and performs a dual function. The photo shows a 10 inch aquarium net which I have re-bent from a rectangle into a round shape. As I recall I paid about $3.00 for it, and the mesh is fine enough that it also serves as a seine for stream drift insects. I believe the exact size was 7 x 10 inches, and it is also available in a 12 inch size if you tend to catch larger fish. Available wherever larger tropical fish are sold ;)
Attachments
Net.jpg
Last edited by brant on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brant

Re: Cheap Landing Net

Postby adventureR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

This net is a good idea in some ways. But this net cost me approximately $2.50. And honors the fish fooled into getting their picture taken. Also it isn't covered with Ick.
( a little aquarium humor) :o
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby brant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

You need a bamboo rod to go with that. It won't look right next to space age graphite :P
brant

Postby adventureR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 am

Bamboo rods I've made and used are to heavy. The 7:3 rod seems my preference mostly. the Bamboo seems to stiff. I like the fact that if I break the Tenkara rods I use I won't start crying.
I usually hold the Tamo and rod away from one and other in separate arms. Hopefully no one will notice the fashion faux pas at this distance. The way I look is also a good distraction. And Namazu makes for a nice functional wooden diversion from manmade material too.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara Nets