Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

eld horn for the tamo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

eld horn for the tamo

Postby Dr.Kawato » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Daniel or anyone else. How would I attach an elk horn to the end of the Tenkara tamo?
Dr.Kawato

Re: eld horn for the tamo

Postby adventureR » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 am

Hello Dr.Kawato and welcome to the forum.

I haven't used horn on anything yet, but should be easy enough. Drill a hole on the horn and section of handle the same size as a bolt with the head cut off. Fit the horn and handle together dry and square the area where horn and handle meet. Apply some tape to the edges of the cut shaped areas. Then epoxy your headless bolt shank into the drilled holes, and clamp the two parts to make one. Wipe away excess epoxy and remove the edge tape. I'd make sure the Tamo handle is thicker than the horn so you can sand the wood diameter and shape to match. Hope to see your Tamo soon, hope this helped.

There's many examples of different tricks and Tamos on the Japanese Tenkara web pages too.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Dr.Kawato » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 am

thank you for the lesson adventureR
Dr.Kawato

Postby tsegelke » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 am

Are you talking about using the horn for the handle or just adding a piece to the end of the handle?

My experience in turning and inlaying horn's onto wood project has been pretty simple. You can do pretty simple woodworking joints, and a good glue or epoxy works just fine. Instead of a bolt, it may be simpler to use a dowel. Drill a hole in the end of the horn, and the handle, and connect them with the dowel. Works the same as internal ferrels of a fly rod. Splines or tennons work good too.

Can't wait to see it.
tsegelke

Postby tsegelke » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 pm

I misread this for elk horn, that was the reason for the question about the entire handle. Sorry.

The rest of the ideas will still work.
tsegelke

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Stephen McGowen shared with me the process of doing it exactly as Jeremy describes it.
Here are a couple of photos:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Using a metal bolt shank instead of a dowel will make repairs easier if the Tamo should ever break. If a wooden dowel ever breaks it would complicate a somewhat easy repair. With a bolt shank in place the material around the metal can be glued back around the solid core of the connection. The metal shank repair is battle tested.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tsegelke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

It's looking great, and I agree that the bolt will be easier for future repairs if needed.
tsegelke

Postby Dr.Kawato » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Thank you, Daniel. Tsegelke and AdventureR
Dr.Kawato

Return to Tenkara Nets