Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Rose Bush Net

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Rose Bush Net

Postby Satoshi_Abe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:24 pm

I am currently making a net out of a piece of rose bush. There was no perfect stick, and one branch is about an inch lower than the other, but it still looks like it will be an interesting net. I'll post some pictures when the net gets closer to being finished
Satoshi_Abe

Re: Rose Bush Net

Postby erik.ostrander » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing how this goes! I was wondering when someone would try rose wood.
erik.ostrander

Postby Satoshi_Abe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks, i hope it turns out well too, but I'm guessing it will take a while. I was just trimming back our rose bushes and this piece seemed pretty good, so I thought it would be interesting to try, and since I've found nothing on this kind of wood, you never know until you try
Satoshi_Abe

Postby Charlie P. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:53 pm

How did this turn out? I have been searching for a suitable sapling and, after days of wandering and the one potential piece with shoots on either side of a damaged main stem ending in a disappointing "CRACK" after I had stripped the bark and found a rotted core. Nothing locally grows pinnately compound (how's that for remembering my BIO101?). I have been eyeing the local wild Milli-flori rose as a potential source. The shoots are long enough to double-back on the handle portion to give a net-sized loop.

But I'm sure it would be a bloodletting to get the raw material. I saw one of our local roses take down a friend's beagle - kid you not he was howling to the point of screaming and pinned to the ground and bloody with his ear wrapped around the stem. I thought he'd been snared in a leg-trap.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Postby tsegelke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Sounds like an interesting adventure for the you, and a sad one for the dog.

Something to consider. To strengthen the voids, after the drying, you may consider putting resin in the crack and/or gaps.

Interested in seeing the result.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara Nets