Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Replaced my mesh on a Tenkara USA frame

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Replaced my mesh on a Tenkara USA frame

Postby Paul Gaskell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 am

Hi, a little bit of a "poor cousin" to those of you who have gone the full hog and shaped their own frames.... but I thought I'd say thanks for the guidance on this part of the forum. I recently bought one of the lovely nets that Daniel sells (and very nice it is too!). However, when it arrived I realised that it would fall victim to my local (UK) byelaws that rule out knotted meshes of any kind.

After some email pointers from the Tenkara USA team, the handy "mesh attachment" video and the posts about the best cord to use I took the plunge. I had my local aquarist's shop order in a similar sized net that they used for ornamental fish (koi carp and tropical fish) and took the head off that (this did not cost too much and the mesh is super "fish friendly"). The mesh, being white and fine, also looks great for use as a bug sampling drift net.
I also found it very easy and cheap to source some 1-mm copper wire (and some 0.6mm black copper wire for future reference!) as well as the "s-lon" micro macrame thread. Armed with these I set to business.

After a couple of practice knots on the frame on its own, I measured off the copper wire exactly on the underside of the frame and marked the overlap point with a piece of clear tape. Having threaded this into the mesh, it allowed me to stitch closed the opening that previously allowed the koi net handle to be joined to its original thick wire frame.

I opted for the ambitious "do it all in one 360 degree" effort so as to only have one start/finish point with the cord and this worked out fine. The one proviso was that the fine mesh (with its folded over double thickness around the wire rim) was sometimes a little tough to thread the knotted needle through. However, with a little patience, the job was soon done and the last knot reinforced with a drop of zap a gap.

Results below - and now I'm seriously wanting to find that perfect branch for a completely "home spun" Tamo.........

Paul Gaskell

Re: Replaced my mesh on a Tenkara USA frame

Postby Thomis » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 am

Looks great! Definitely build your own Tamo. There is no greater feeling than netting a fish in something you made yourself. Plus, it's a good project to work on when you can't be stream side.
Thomis
lifefliesandtrout.com
Thomis

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Very interesting. I'm happy you have found a good solution to that "problem", and it looks very elegant too.
Do you think that mesh absorbs some water? Would be curious to see how it stands over time, but would imagine it has a very good feel to it.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Paul Gaskell » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:01 am

I'll report back with pictures after a season or so of use, but the mesh seems quite shiny and hydrophobic so I expect a smart shake should shed any water held in the "pores". The only issue might be in super fast water where a larger (more open) mesh size would offer a bit less resistance to the flow.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.
Paul Gaskell

Postby Paul Gaskell » Thu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm

The rain finally let up and the rivers fined down a little at a time that I could spare an hour, so I walked the 500 yards down the hill to my nearest stream (next to a busy road). This is the first of several fish to grace the new mesh (there was one much bigger that got off just as I was handlining him towards the waiting Tamo!).

Excuse the crappy phone photo (from inside an aquapac!):

Paul Gaskell

Postby Paul Gaskell » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 am

Snatched another trip out yesterday afternoon:

Paul Gaskell

Postby Paul Gaskell » Sun May 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Some more fun use of the net :)

It has also been good for sampling aquatic bugs as well as catching the odd hatching adult fly:

Paul Gaskell

Postby myles.brandt@gmail.com » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Anybody know where to get netting like that in the US?
myles.brandt@gmail.com

Postby Billinoregon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I was going to inquire about where to find net material, and this looks like a fine and affordable alternative. Thank you for posting.
Billinoregon

Return to Tenkara Nets