Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Mushroom Tamo

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Mushroom Tamo

Postby adventureR » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 am

Here's the varnished Mushroom Tamo. The splice was simple enough this time. One side looks good the other a bit wide. The net is very strong, has great character. Still waiting for the net bag to come from the brown van. I enjoyed making this net. It was a labor of love, being a gift for my wife.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Re: Mushroom Tamo

Postby texfly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Awesome job! It does have a lot of character. Make sure and post picks when the bag is laced on.
texfly

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Stunning wood.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Beautiful.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby tntom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Very nice.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks guys,
I just asked about my order of a ghost net bag. Been waiting since March 27th. I was hoping to show it off at the TT gathering.
The Tamo Hackberry tree looked like it was struck by lightening. There was a thread of really hard charcoal like stuff in between the two different colors of wood. The parent tree has also been bulldozed and burned. Progress on the woods for a housing development can really be a waste sometimes of beautiful resources. So I'm really glad with the choice for this piece of wood. I'm already looking for more specimens before they meet the same fate.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Hay pal, I am looking forward to seeing Mary's net finished don't forget to post some pictures. I'm looking for a limb that will work well for carrying and from my kayak with a ghost net.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:15 am

Tom, I believe with your past wood working experience you'll really enjoy a Tamo project. Here's some gee whizz info I've learned the hard way.

I cut off the bark over a span of a couple days after removing the branch from the tree. I wrap the two branches together and tied while drying to get some what of a round hoop shape directly after removing from the tree. I also leave the bark on the wrapped sections to allow time to set the loop shape during the drying time. A round form the size you seek for the loop would be good to use at this point. I would suggest having a net bag size in hand or the right dimensions in the form of a template from the beginning of the project. Winter is probably the best time to harvest the branches due to a naturally lower moisture content. Each type of tree or shrub will have different drying times and bending capabilites. Try not to leave the branch in air conditioning or heated rooms. This will make alot more checking, (splitting from the center outward) and probably ruin your project. Another way to cheat the checking process is to cut the tree branch longer then necesary on the handle side and slowly trim cracked sections down. The places on the wood with knot holes will serve to hold the wood together, like a stop drill on a crack. These knotholes I think are great to incorporate into the tamo look. The more knot holes the better I say, just my personel preffernce. Also antler might be a good choice for your Tamo with the polished ice like rocks in the GSMNP waters, so very slick, for some extra luck/protection.

I would like to warn that removing the bark seems the most dangerous part of the project. The bark removal takes a while and is when I get complacent. Also a sharp knife will easily take the bark or excess wood off. With a dull knife you will muscle the knife with less control.

I will post pics as soon as I get the net bag. I'm excitied to give the net to my wife. The nets are both wader and kayak friendly, and look really nice in the kayaks rod holders. I think the homemade tamos will eventually catch on and be popular. They are so nice and practical. I really enjoyed making them.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Time to use the T-shaped Tenkara display rock,(inspired by all those Road Runner cartoons). The Mushroom Tamo is complete. Brodin Ghost net installed with bronze cord Daniel-San recommended as a traditional Japaned looking choice from http://www.satincord.com/. The net looks really nice with the bronze cord double wrapped, brings out gold tones in the wood grain. Now other projects can be attacked.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

WOW! Stunning work. Really, one of the most exquisite and beautiful nets I have seen! Bravo.

What is the "T-shaped Tenkara display rock" you are referring to? I'm looking for a good way to display nets for photography.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tenkara Nets