Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Wrapping line suggestions

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Wrapping line suggestions

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 pm

There are several lines that can be used to connect your meshbag to the net frame. I have successfully used regular mono, the level line, some line from Japan, and a beautiful set of furled lines made by Rick with tapestry line (I believe)? - someone also recently suggested using button line, and I think it will work well but must be furled first to take abuse more easily.

Yesterday I spent sometime at Joann's looking at line options, and came across two new lines I'll be trying soon: hemp line and leather lace. Both are 1mm in diameter, so pretty thick and should take abuse well. I may treat both with wax before using, however, for additional waterproofing. Not sure they are the best alternatives, but would look very good I think.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Wrapping line suggestions

Postby rsetina » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:54 pm

There are lots of different lines out there that can be used as Daniel pointed out. The line I used for the furled lines I sent Daniel are made from Coats Extra Strong Upholstery Thread. I don't recall if I used 4 or 6 strands to create the thread rope I sent Daniel. At first I started out using a hook mounted in a drill which worked fine but after learning about Michael Hackney's brass Walton's Engine I had to have one and I found making the lines were much easier and way more precise. Here's a photo of the furled line.

If you don't know what a Walton's Engine is here's a link to Michael's page. The price has gone up since I bought mine.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby adventureR » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:54 am

I used the drill and hook method for my Tamo net bag furled line. The engine looks really nice. Does the engine have gearing that speeds up the twisting? Just wondering since my drill twisted the line for a long long time. And when finished wrapping the net loop/hoop I didn't have much furled line left. I put approximately 25' of furled line on the Tamo.

-If anyone tries making furled lines for attachment of net bags, make extra!-

I just tried to make due with things I already had at the house. Rick your furled line is much more delicate and pleasing to the eye. That was my first furled line used on the Hackberry Tamo. But I like the topic. There's an endless amount of fibers one could use for furling. I'm curious to see who and what comes up next.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 am

Rick, your lines are beautiful. They really are my favorites for the nets I have used them so far. I am still saving one for an upcoming net. Very excited about it.
AdventureR, 25' of line? That's a lot!
I calculate it takes a bit under 6' of line for each side, that's with two wraps about every 1.5 inches.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:09 pm

I know, the net is 42" around and about 3" wide around alot of the loop. Also the way the bag set around the loop made it necessary to wrap every 1/2 to 3/4" and I double wrapped as for the Japanese traditional way. Plus I used a $2.50 net bag. :oops: Which made it very difficult to attach not to mention the irregularities of it's natural shape. I didn't think it would take much line either till i wrapped it. Glad I made alot of furled line. And carved a net making shuttle to hold the massive spool of line it took. :lol:
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby rsetina » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks Daniel. If you need more in any color let me know. With the Walton's Engine they are easy and quick or make.

Jeremy, I think the ratio is 4 to 1. The nice thing is that each line is twisted the same number of times, making the rope furl evenly. As you know, I'd they aren't even, they may twist funny.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby adventureR » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 am

I can definitely see a difference between your line and mine. :oops:
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I have been searching the craft stores (more like dragged) since the posting of this thread for wrapping line. And line for the eyeless flies. Still haven't found anything I'd like to try for either one yet. Nice to see more choices. I like the silk thread that Mr. Katsutoshi Amano uses for his eyeless hooks. Haven't found anything like it yet. But I believe this would make a nice wrapping material for our honorable Tamos and eyeless Kebari.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Perhaps something like this would be of interest for wrapping.

http://www.taprootfolkarts.com/classes- ... t/kumihimo

I'll have to research more about it. But believe one couldn't go wrong with that line option. It's a pretty interesting sight too.

-Updated that link-
Last edited by adventureR on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Next

Return to Tenkara Nets