Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hackberry frame

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Hackberry frame

Postby gwrom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:22 pm

It helps to put the link in doesn't it... :oops:

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead%C2%AE-Br ... 4808/67511
gwrom

Postby adventureR » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:55 pm

gwrom thank you, You should try your hand at making a Tamo. Plenty of direction and help here if you ever decide to go for it. I love the net, don't think it really qualifies as a Tamo. But have it hanging on the wall, like my little peice of art. As for the line, I'm not sure the holes in the hoop are ever a good idea. They would weaken the structure of the loop. I still haven't found any suitable lines or furl material yet. I'll check that line out next time I go to BassPro. I think the ghost bag would be a nice net bag to try one of these days.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:28 pm

gwrom wrote:..... The ghost net had to be "hand stitched" through the existing frame holes which are not generous in terms of thread size. I ended up using a braided duck decoy line ...

Calcutta ultra braid might work well. The green line would be a bit stealthier than the yellow. Though I suppose the yellow would be ok on a light colored frame. The yellow line tends to be larger in diameter than the green and is easier on the hands. It comes in a variety of test strenghts and is abrasion resistant. It would be as easy to get through frame holes as sewing thread but would be much tougher. Perhaps not as cheap as decoy line. 150 yds of 10 to 30 # about $14. Not much more than lunch at a fast food place. Similar line could probably be found at the local tackle shop. I carry some of the 200# yellow line when backpacking. Super light, strong and visible for use when the need for extra line arises.

http://www.edgeangling.com/Fishing-Tack ... ra%20Braid

Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 am

Finished replacing the net bag on my first Tamo. Went from a $2.50 knotted bag to the Brodin Ghost net bag. The difference is much better to look at. The only thing I can say is the irregular shape of my hoop, (I really like the organic look of it), makes bag attachment very frustrating. The project is done except for a new carabiner which must be clipped to something I forgot where.

Before

After
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby jdchaussee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm

That is a seriously good looking tamo! Very well done. I love the unique look with the natural bends in the wood. Im sure that makes putting a net on it challenging, but it really does look very nice. It reminds me of the tamo Daniel made out of the manzanita branch (which by the way was my favorite of Daniel's tamos). When I finally get around to taking on the challenge of making my own tamo, yours is the look I would try and shoot for. :-)
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby adventureR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks Justin, I love that net. Super light, strong, and crazy looking at every angle. Fits so nice in my wading belt or the rod holder on my Kayak. A honor to the fish lucky enough to be landed in it. I'm glad you like my Tamo, it was really fun to make. The wood was full of great character and super easy to work with. I haven't seen a Tamo post in a while. You should try your hand at it Justin. I still see many branches everywhere that have the right shape and demintions for an interesting Tamo. I have had my eye on this Crab Apple branch in the backyard for awhile. Anyway it's very nice to net a fish in a Tamo you made with your own two hands.

My bag installation story. The Brodin Ghost bags are difficult to come by, I think they are out of stock till May of 2013 now. They seem to be out of stock constantly for the size I needed for a couple years now. I picked up and put down the Hackberry Tamo over and over for three days with the bag masking taped on. I ripped off the tape and reattached it I don't know how many times. It was hard to cut the bag with fears of ruining it. I finally made the first snip and played around with tying it up a few different ways. I'll make my nets a little closer to round and level after this net. I do like the way it turned out though. Thanks again for your interest Justin!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby erik.ostrander » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am

Are you tying your thread/line to the wire or the net?
erik.ostrander

Postby adventureR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 pm

The cord is attached around the hoop and various sections of net bag wherever it lined up. I tried to make the bag look like it hangs even, and correct. It took lots of positioning. The wire would be nice to use, I couldn't figure out how to incorporate it into the scheme though. Does the wire some how make the the bag last longer?
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Charlie P. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Inspirational!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Postby adventureR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 am

:D
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Previous

Return to Tenkara Nets