Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hackberry frame

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Hackberry frame

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 pm

I have been meaning to post but have been short on time recently.
I really like the net, and the idea of using the Juniper and carve it a bit like an antler. I really like that.
About suggestions for thread, someone recently recommended I look into "button thread" as it is very strong. And, indeed it is. It's a bit thin, so I'm not sure how much abrasion it can really take, but a good thread to look into.
Also, if I may make one recommendation about the net, I'd suggest you work more on the left side of the net to push it out and make it rounder. Of course, it's not absolutely necessary and part of it may be taste, it's a lot of work too, but would make your net stronger and maybe easier to work with. It may not be worth it at this point, but if you're interested in doing it I'd recommend getting a large pot with a lot of water, resting that part over the pot and boiling the water. Cover it up with aluminum foil to trap the steam around it and steam it for about 30 minutes (or more, depending on how hard it is). This will make it softer. But, again, since it's almost done you may not want to mess with it anymore.
Regardless, it's going to be a gorgeous net, and again kudos or the "antler" work!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks ToddW & Daniel. I think i'm going with just some plain mono fishing line furled. One line is chartreuse the other green. The furled line looks good and I have alot of it laying around the house. Plus I don't seem to have use for such fishing line anymore these days. If it looks stupid I'll try something else. As for the strength being out of round it's a little to late. But I like the way it looks irregular. I'll try some of these techniques on the next net. I've spotted a great many more possible subjects today on a short hike before the sun went down. The juniper antler may just be my trademark for my Tamo collection.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am

Here's two coats of varnish and the furled mono. I'm going with a cheap net bag for now and will upgrade later. One more coat and I'll attempt to evenly attach the bag.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:44 am

Here's a shot of the tools needed to make the net, with a couple sheets of 150 grit sand paper.

Here's the completed net. Cool project, I like the net. If anyone needs a net out there, I would suggest you try to make one of these tamo nets. A rewarding experience. The net ended up costing me about six dollars to make. Including everything even the cheap little quick disconect.

Now I need to come up with some other project.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

There was an old post I read about a bit of film footage with an Old Japanese Tenkara fisher. He had a net which was a combination walking stick/Tamo. I will be on the lookout for a suitable subject for one of my next rube goldberg inventions.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Gorgeous net!
Keep in mind that even though it's a little counterintuitive you actually use the net in the other direction, not like a "spoon", the mesh bag should sink in toward the end of the handle.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Daneil for fishing while on the bank or wading I agree about the directional preference. But from my Kayak it's the "spoon method" :) . I'll try tomorrow to get a picture of a willing participant in the Tamo. It's a little flooded out here but I know a pretty spot that blocks the wind. The leaves are all down now here and the Bluff/ windbreak is quite a sight. And the fishing is usually good. But that's the reason for the direction of the net. I mostly fish from my Kayak sitting three inches off the water surface. There are many differences fishing this way compared to standing as you can probably imagine.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:01 pm

There's a small Bluegill about six inches to scale the net. The net floats, and also fits nicely in my wader belt. The extra knot in the middle of the handle helps to keep the net from getting away.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:14 am

for fishing while on the bank or wading I agree about the directional preference. But from my Kayak it's the "spoon method"

AH! Never thought about that, but makes total sense from a kayak!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby gwrom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:45 pm

For future reference. I recently replaced an Orvis boat net with a ghost net. The ghost net had to be "hand stitched" through the existing frame holes which are not generous in terms of thread size. I ended up using a braided duck decoy line from Bass Pro. Very inexpensive, very sturdy and a choice of black or a nice camo pattern. I had to use a non-slip mono loop tied at the end of a piece of heavy gauge mono as a "needle" top pull the decoy line through the holes but it turned out just right. If you're just wrapping around a frame, it'd be a breeze.

Here's a link to the item at Bass Pro.

Nice looking net by the way ;)
gwrom

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Nets