Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hackberry frame

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Hackberry frame

Postby adventureR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Hackberry is common here. The wood is thought of as a pest species here. They make sugar tasting berries the animals like. And often fall during windstorms. Not falling from weakness as far as the tree goes but instead, poor soil. They often are full of mineral streaks. Thought I'd try a net with this crazy branch. So far the splice is a work in progress.

Jeremy
Last edited by adventureR on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Re: Hackberry frame

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Some cool character to this wood. Has stories to tell. tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby ToddW » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Advent...that is a way cool branch. I've been looking for a hackberry like that for awhile but haven't found anything with the potential yours has. Good luck and post how it turns out.
ToddW

Postby adventureR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm

The inlaws have a wooded back yard. Behind it there is a housing development being cut through the woods. I actually have saved many saplings and peices of wood from the bulldozer. The hackberry was one of those trees that was growing slowly shaded by a great many larger trees. I can't wait to finish this project. My nephew broke two of plywood fly fishing nets trying to wrangle crawdads. So i'd like to have a good net. I've missed a few good fish without a net to assist with landing, unhooking, and getting pictures.
jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 am

The tamo project continues. This is definitely a challenging project. The splice is very frustrating to do. I seem to work on it sporadically due to the minute amounts of wood needed to be removed in order to get a good joint. I ambiously made the splice huge thinking the glue joint would be stronger. Making the tamo is a fun project though and can't wait to share the finished project soon.

Any suggestions with glue would be appreciated. I have some gorilla glue and exterior wood glue but am curious what's the best.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 am

I'm getting closer to being finshed with the Tamo. I ended up with a 5 1/2" splice with no pins. If the Tamo ever breaks it will not be on the splice. Alot of sanding. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit outside before I put on some varnish. I will never buy a net again, store bought western nets now look very unnatural compared to a Japanese Tamo. I really like how this net is turning out. While sanding on the frame I can't believe how easy it is to get lost in the beauty of the grain and all the character of the wood. I didn't have any deer antler so I used a piece of Juniper carving it out to look antler like. I like the effect so much I spread the grooves into the Hackberry alittle. The perfect way to honor a fish for allowing me to catch him or her.

I spent alot of time looking back into the forum history on nets for some Ideas and questions. What a wealth of knowledge. There's a great amount of information here. Hope you all like the Tamo.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby rmcworthing » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Really like it, Jeremy.

I prefer nets that allow the character of the wood to stand out, and have leaned away from steam shaping my own Tamo. Makes the netting a bit more difficult to attach, but it's worth it.

Great job, brother. Can't wait to see the finished product.
rmcworthing

Postby ToddW » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 pm

I like that juniper for the butt end, the color contrast works well. What kind of finish will you use? I've been using Epifanes spar varnish for the clear coats lately and have been very happy with the results.
ToddW

Postby adventureR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 pm

The stuff is called Marine Spar Varnish, by Epifanes. Probably the same varnish your using. I picked it because it has water resistance and extra UV filter. The plywood fly fishing nets I've bought in the past fell apart after about a year of use. The delamination is unavoidable on cheap plywood nets. I tried to repair those old nets and they didn't pass the nephew test. So I'm glad those old nets broke since the new one is so cool looking.
I've been messing around with trying to furl a line to use to attach the net bag to the frame. The uneven frame is a challenge to attach the bag but it's worth it.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby ToddW » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Yep, that's the varnish I've been using; about 6-8 thin coats works well for me. I highly recommend the furling you mentioned - I've had good luck with rod guide thread - taking 3 threads and furling them makes for a nice textured and sturdy cord that wraps well. I then use a whip finish. I'm experimenting furling different colors of thread together to vary the effect as well as using brightly colored wire around the top of the bag instead of the usual brass; craft and beading stores have a wide selection. Good luck with the final phase of the project!
ToddW

Next

Return to Tenkara Nets