Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara inspired net- In Progress.......

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Tenkara inspired net- In Progress.......

Postby ToddW » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 pm

The method you used on your rifle stock should work. I've been wondering if Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil gunstock finish would work well on tamos. If you can get that walnut gunstock look that would be very classy. I've used various linseed oil and tung oil based products which have worked well, but I'm really hard on my gear(bouldering, stalking fish, bush-wacking etc.), so I'm trying a high quality spar varnish to see if it holds up better in re. to scratches and dents.
ToddW

Postby Englander » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 am

ToddW wrote:The method you used on your rifle stock should work. I've been wondering if Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil gunstock finish would work well on tamos. If you can get that walnut gunstock look that would be very classy. I've used various linseed oil and tung oil based products which have worked well, but I'm really hard on my gear(bouldering, stalking fish, bush-wacking etc.), so I'm trying a high quality spar varnish to see if it holds up better in re. to scratches and dents.

Hi

I Re finished my Marlin .444, used 50/50 mix yacht varnish white spirt, as the sealer , after id rised the hairs, i also sanded with the 50/50 mix to fill the pores this was repeated with finer and finer paper and finally finished with Tru-oil which is an oil but looks like varnish, but doesnt crack or discolour 8-) Took me 6 months but well worth it ...........i will see if i can dig out a photo

Regards

Stephen
Englander

Postby Englander » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello from Scotland

I thought id post now i have finally finished my first Tamo 8-)

To be honest i wasn't going to bother finishing this MK 1 tamo, it was my learning curve, i made mistakes but learnt allot ! But in the end i thought i owed it to finish it.........

Lessons learn't:

# The right shaped tree branch is blooming hard to find ! ;)

# Making scarf joint :)

# Select a branch that has thicker arms that will form the tamo's hoop, although im amazed how strong this skinny little Holly hoop is ! Certinally handle any fish i can fit it in.

# Do not cut the handle to the length you want till after it has dried, as it can and will split :oops:

# Do not trim off unwanted side branches close to the handle as these too can split, better to leave them 1/2" long till they have dried. :oops:

# Cut a plywood form to add shaping the hoop :)

# Its very satisfying to make one 8-)

I'm currently working on my MK 3 tamo

Stephen
Englander

Postby Englander » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 am

Hello from Scotland

I am pleased to say I have "blooded" my new Tamo on it's first outing 8-) Not only that a cracking 15"-16" wild brown trout from a small river 8-)

Great to actually use something you made like that, i have to say i did find it a little awkward to use i.e in my belt and the heap angle but normally i use a European type scoop net.

Sorry its a wee bit out of focus i was probably still shaking ! What a fight on my 5' 9" Vision cult fiber 8-)

Despite its very thin arms it seem's very robust and it didn't even notice the weight of the fish about the biggest you get in that wee river ......................

The fish was quickly returned safe and well.

Regards

Stephen
Englander

Previous

Return to Tenkara Nets