Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Experiment in making a tenkara net, journal

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Experiment in making a tenkara net, journal

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:01 am

Did another quick Google search for Silky Pocket Boy Saw. Home Depot has about the lowest prices I could find with a quick search.

PB 130 EF - $34
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Silky-POCKETBOY-5-in-Extra-Fine-Teeth-Folding-Saw-344-13/206368676?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=s1MfEgAXs|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_139625601344_pkw__pmt__product_206368676_slid_&gclid=COvdo7XUjNECFUS5wAodDE8CCw

PB 170 Fine - $32
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Silky-POCKETBOY-7-in-Fine-Teeth-Folding-Saw-342-17/206368673?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=s1MfEgAXs|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_139625601344_pkw__pmt__product_206368673_slid_&gclid=CIKg9-bUjNECFdu6wAodSF4BQw

Twice the price of the other saws, but they would be more versatile. Probably also higher quality.

Anyway, you can find them at local stores where you can see them hands on and better judge if you'd like the Silky saws. But the Dozuki should also work well, maybe better though more limited, at a lower price.

D
Last edited by dwalker on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby arieger » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:55 am

dmwalker...Thank you for your knowledge!
arieger

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 am

I have both and I believe I bought mine off of eBay for about $25

I use the medium teeth blade, it has a black handle.

The 130 is small but does the trick, the 170 is more versatile for cutting firewood and other camp chores. If I were purchasing for just cutting tamo, the 130 is my choice.

Both choices are excellent.
Adam Trahan

Postby genghistran » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi, I'd love to make my own tamo, but was wondering: what are these wraps for, and how are they achieved? This is something that I haven't been able to find through all my research. Thank you for the resource, it's incredible!

genghistran

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 pm

genghistran wrote:Hi, .. was wondering: what are these wraps for, and how are they achieved?

Impossible to determine from just the picture. I think it is a detail not found on all tamo frames.
Can you provide a link where you found the picture? It might help if there is a description of how it was made.

I would guess the wraps are to reinforce the area where the branch is spliced to make the round hoop, but that's just a guess. Looks like it was made by a highly skilled maker.

I suspect that is rattan wrapping, as shown in this unfinished tamo frame
[ 頑強タモ枠, Gankyō Tamo-waku, Robust tamo frame]

Picture is from this blog post:
http://g3kebari.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-696.html

"。。念のため籐の細いのを接着剤を塗りながら巻きました。"
. . I just rolled the thin rattan wrapper while applying the adhesive.

An internet search will probably find instruction, in English, on how to do a joint wrap with thin rattan. Maybe one of these two websites might be a little bit helpful. Though I think a thinner (narrower) rattan was used on the tamo frame in your picture.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/rodbuilding/RattanGripTutorial.php

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=79761

I think you can get Synthetic polyethylene rattan, or "PE rattan," that emulates the look of actual rattan at; Walmart, Jo Ann fabric and other stores. However, I think wrapping the splice joint with some kind of strong braided fishing line would work just as well, for strength. Though it wouldn't look as traditional as a rattan wrapping.

An internet search for 籐を巻き方法 [rattan winding method] might turn up more of a Japanese style [和式 / 和風] way of doing it.
Or 渓流 タモ枠作り方法 [method how to make mountain stream tamo frame].
Or 渓流 タモ枠作り・籐を巻き方法 [mountain stream tamo frame making ・rattan winding method.

Maybe some more experienced tamo makers who also know about rattan winding will chime in.

Good luck.
D
dwalker

Postby genghistran » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:00 pm

dwalker wrote:
genghistran wrote:Hi, .. was wondering: what are these wraps for, and how are they achieved?

Impossible to determine from just the picture. I think it is a detail not found on all tamo frames.
Can you provide a link where you found the picture? It might help if there is a description of how it was made.

I would guess the wraps are to reinforce the area where the branch is spliced to make the round hoop, but that's just a guess. Looks like it was made by a highly skilled maker.

I suspect that is rattan wrapping, as shown in this unfinished tamo frame
[ 頑強タモ枠, Gankyō Tamo-waku, Robust tamo frame]

Picture is from this blog post:
http://g3kebari.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-696.html

"。。念のため籐の細いのを接着剤を塗りながら巻きました。"
. . I just rolled the thin rattan wrapper while applying the adhesive.

An internet search will probably find instruction, in English, on how to do a joint wrap with thin rattan. Maybe one of these two websites might be a little bit helpful. Though I think a thinner (narrower) rattan was used on the tamo frame in your picture.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/rodbuilding/RattanGripTutorial.php

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=79761

I think you can get Synthetic polyethylene rattan, or "PE rattan," that emulates the look of actual rattan at; Walmart, Jo Ann fabric and other stores. However, I think wrapping the splice joint with some kind of strong braided fishing line would work just as well, for strength. Though it wouldn't look as traditional as a rattan wrapping.

An internet search for 籐を巻き方法 [rattan winding method] might turn up more of a Japanese style [和式 / 和風] way of doing it.
Or 渓流 タモ枠作り方法 [method how to make mountain stream tamo frame].
Or 渓流 タモ枠作り・籐を巻き方法 [mountain stream tamo frame making ・rattan winding method.

Maybe some more experienced tamo makers who also know about rattan winding will chime in.

Good luck.
D

Thank you so much, this is really really helpful! I appreciate the knowledge that you bring to this thread — so, so helpful.

Do you happen to know where to get the mesh nets?

I haven't been able to find a source for good mesh netting, and I'm especially interested in something colorful and nice like this.
genghistran

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi, Tenkara USA sells the net mesh in 2 sizes. 24cm and 27cm. Out of stock in USA at the moment on the smaller 24cm but will have more later in January. We do have the 27cm in stock though.

Just black color.

https://www.tenkarausa.com/shop/product ... cts_id/113

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby dwalker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 pm

genghistran wrote:Do you happen to know where to get the mesh nets?

I haven't been able to find a source for good mesh netting, and I'm especially interested in something colorful and nice like this.

It will take more effort to obtain a bright color net if you don't want to settle for black. But you will need to figure out how to order one from Japan. I've not done so myself, but I am aware of others who set up an account with tenso.com, and then ordered items from Amazon.jp. Tenso is a package forwarding service. You order from some online shop in Japan and given them your Tenso address. They ship the item to Tenso, you check with Tenso when it arrived, and arrange payment to them to forward the package onto you at your home. Usually at reasonable shipping charge from what I've read. However, there are some tackle shops that have links on their webpage for overseas shipping that may work well.

Some useful Japanese search terms that may help you find what you want:
替え網 (Kae-mō) = change net, ie a replacement net to go on a tamo frame.
Or
替網 (Kawa-mō) = replacement net. Both terms are mostly interchangeable.
各種色 (Kakushu-iro) = various colors.
オレンジ色 = Orenji-iro = Orange color.
サイズ・24cm~30cm = size · 24 cm ~ 30 cm
Two frequently seen brands: マンキュー (mankyu)and シミズ(Shimizu).

I'd recommend searching for the following phrases or some rearranged combination:
タモ替網 = tamo replacement net
テンカラ タモ替網 = tenkara tamo replacement net
テンカラ タモ替網 各種色 = tenkara tamo replacement net various colors
テンカラ タモ替え網 = tenkara tamo change net
渓流替網 = stream / mountain stream change net

マンキュー (mankyu)替え網 = Mankyu change net
シミズ(Shimizu) 替え網 = Shimizu change net

Or give this search phrase a try:
27cm・渓流タモ 用 · ソフト深網・替え網・メッシュネット・オレンジ色
27 cm · for Keiryu tamo · soft deep· ・change net・mesh net・orange color

赤, aka , red
緑, midori, green
青, ao, blue

A lot of my Japanese is wrong, or wrong grammar, but close enough to find stuff, maybe the right stuff. :?

Good luck finding what you like or want.
dwalker

Previous

Return to Tenkara Nets