Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

This is so cool!!!!! Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear

This is so cool!!!!! Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear

Postby Tenkara Guides » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:20 am

Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=3040
This is awesome news! Good job Daniel on breaking the surface into the mainstream fly fishing world with Tenkara USA.

I know some of you will proclaim this is the beginning of the end of tenkara by working with a large fly fishing company like Orvis. Stand fast fellow tenkara anglers. I have worked for Orvis, not only is it a great company to work for, as a company, they are the only one out there in the mainstream fly fishing industry that has a corporate culture that can accept, understand, and respect tenkara as a tradition, sport, and method.

I always knew when I was working for Orvis that if anybody in the mainstream fly fishing industry would just "get" tenkara it would be them.

John
Tenkara Guides

Re: This is so cool!!!!! Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear

Postby Stephen McGowen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 am

I am astonished ! The conspicuous consumption of the guided "Orvis lifestyle" seemed to be the polar opposite of the Tenkara USA philosophy. I'm thinking I have mis-understood T-USA.

I live in New England and have fly fished for 35 years. I know what Orvis is about.
Stephen McGowen

Postby narcodog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 am

This is great for Tenkara USA and the tenkara community but I also know Orvis, on the business side and find them somewhat untrustworthy.

It will be fun to see all of the Orvis sports out on the water flailing the water with a Tenkara rod and telling the guides that they want to fish with Tenkara. That will be a hoot. :lol:

I'm happy for Daniel as he has worked hard to get Tenkara recognized as a fly fishing system.
narcodog

Postby Paul Arnold » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 am

I don't recall ever seeing any products shown in the Orvis catalog that were not Orvis products. I feel stronger about not having seen tackle (Scott, Sage, etc.) than I do about their clothing, such as Barbour waxed jackets. On the other hand, I've don't study those catalogs very closely when they arrive these days.

This could be a larger tenkara development than appears on its face.
Paul Arnold

Postby Anthony » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:22 am

Congrats TUSA. Working with Orvis rather than against them is probably a good thing.

My dealings with Orvis have always been very good - I've gotten free parts for a discontinued click and pawl reel, they tracked down a spare spool for that same reel years after it had been discontinued. Also compared to other companies their products seem to be fairly priced - you can certainly spend a whole lot more on gear from some other companies. In my experience the quality has been good.

I'm not saying that other's dealings with Orvis haven't been bad, if they have they have, but mine have been good.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:19 am

I want to emphasize that Orvis will be a great partner in promoting the tenkara philosophy and method. We have been approached by large box stores and other companies and this was the first company I felt would help us accomplish the vision of introducing the method of tenkara to the US. They absolutely were psyched to promote the simpler philosophy of tenkara. Please listen to the podcast I did with Tom Rosenbauer and you will see that. I feel very comfortable working with them and would not have worked with them if every person I have encountered at different levels of the organization weren't excited about the method at least as much ad about the tools we make.
This is a good thing.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby pechelman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 am

didnt really know what to think when i read about this news last night.
But in the end, it seems its just a matter of if we trust Daniel or not.
I can only answer for myself, and that I do have faith in his decision here, in that I dont believe he wouldnt want to do anything to dilute or alter his company, philosophy, or tenkara fishing as a whole, just to fit into some other box.

In the end, it seems this will only ensure that this helps promote and establish tenkara here in the US. A good thing imo.

Though I will say, I'm a bit disappointed, as I did like being the one guy using an esoteric style of fishing (for the US) on any given body of water. Surely thats going to change more rapidly now.
Though I guess I have a funny looking hat to fall back on to make me feel special :p

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote: Please listen to the podcast I did with Tom Rosenbauer and you will see that.

i looked around a little bit, but couldnt find this. Feeling a little dumb right now.

Could you please point me in the right direction? Would really like to listen in.
pechelman

Postby narcodog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:36 am

Here is what I mean about Orvis. They have some of the best customer service in the industry, which goes along with Daniel's ideals. The problem with Orvis and I have seen this first hand several times and it relates to their dealers.

Orvis has a habit of putting merchandise on sale with out re reimbursement to the dealers. Such as a dealer pays, say 250.00 for a Helios rod, Orvis puts it on sale for $225.00. The dealer has to eat the $25.00 to be able to match Orvis. A few years ago Orvis placed their products in a big box store which undermined their dealers.

I like Orvis products and have four bamboo rods, five plastic rods, waders and it goes on and on. The only products Orvis actually manufactures are the rods everything else is labeled Orvis.

Daniel is a smart businessman and I know that he has all of his T's crossed. He deserves a great big pat on the back. For bring Tenkara to the rest of the world.
narcodog

Postby szano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 pm

pechelman wrote:didnt really know what to think when i read about this news last night.
But in the end, it seems its just a matter of if we trust Daniel or not.
I can only answer for myself, and that I do have faith in his decision here, in that I dont believe he wouldnt want to do anything to dilute or alter his company, philosophy, or tenkara fishing as a whole, just to fit into some other box.

In the end, it seems this will only ensure that this helps promote and establish tenkara here in the US. A good thing imo.

Though I will say, I'm a bit disappointed, as I did like being the one guy using an esoteric style of fishing (for the US) on any given body of water. Surely thats going to change more rapidly now.
Though I guess I have a funny looking hat to fall back on to make me feel special :p

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote: Please listen to the podcast I did with Tom Rosenbauer and you will see that.

i looked around a little bit, but couldnt find this. Feeling a little dumb right now.

Could you please point me in the right direction? Would really like to listen in.

you can find the podcasts either on the iphone app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/orvis-fly-fishing-ultimate/id380322999?mt=8

or on this page:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=4047
szano

Postby pechelman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:14 pm

so I take it that the podcast isnt published yet, since its not on either of those pages either...

guess ill sit tight
pechelman

Next

Return to Announcements from Tenkara USA