Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

NW Fly tying and fishing expo?

NW Fly tying and fishing expo?

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Any chance anybody here is going to be presenting at the Expo? ( http://www.nwexpo.com ) I would love to see more local Tenkara stuff. My local fly shop just started selling rods and line with a very limited selection. I was so nervous about how my Iwana would actually 'feel' before I got it! I think people wouldn't be so hesitant to give it a try if they could get their fingers on a rod without forking over the cash :-)
Andrew

Re: NW Fly tying and fishing expo?

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey Andrew,
Which shop is that?
We're not attending shows ourselves, but I'm compiling a list of shows our dealers will be attending.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Orange_Caddis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Andrew,
I don't know if any body will be presenting, but I know that I'll be there on Friday checking things out once again. It's a great expo, a lot of talent.

Daniel,
I know the Caddis Fly Shop is Eugene, OR lists TenkaraUSA rods on their website. This is the only shop that I know of in Oregon that has tenkara rods in stock and available to demo.

Jason
Orange_Caddis

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 pm

Interesting, they haven't really committed as a dealer.... Will have to talk to them about this.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jayfisher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 pm

It's worth contacting The Caddis Fly in Eugene about the NW Fly Expo. I can't imagine that they won't be there since it's so close by.
-Jack

edit: oops, I guess we were posting at the same time. ;)

Last time I checked, they were not listed as a dealer on the TenkaraUSA site, but I know they're interested in tenkara.
jayfisher

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Yea, it's the Caddis Fly. Their tenkara page is: http://www.caddisflyshop.com/tenkaraflyrods.html

The funny part is that I was in the shop about two weeks ago explaining to the counter guy what I was looking for in a hackle that would tie right for a Tenkara fly- I had to explain Tenkara to him. He seemed skeptical that such a rod and system existed, so I pulled my Iwana out of the truck and showed him how it works. I haven't been in the shop since they posted gear on their web page, so maybe they aren't actually stocking and just trying to see in there is enough interest to supply the gear? I don't know.

I think I am going to hit the Expo on Saturday. I go every year and always learn a ton about tying and fishing. Bought a nice little bobbin there last year with a ceramic tube- I think I will get another one this year.
Andrew

Postby jayfisher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

I might see you at the Expo if I make it down there. :)

It's also funny how tenkara knowledge is spreading by bits - not everyone in the same shop knows about it. Not even everyone where I work knows the week's schedule - and sometimes that can even include me. :D Jay Nicholas, one of the principals at the Caddis Fly, knows about tenkara. Here is a video of Jay tying a "reversed spider" cutthroat fly. He talks about the reversed hackle being a traditional Japanese method, how the reversed hackle gives a lot of action in the water, and how he's "excited" to try tenkara.

Link:
http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2010/08/05/tying-the-reversed-spider-sea-run-cutthroat-fly/

Historical note: Northwest cutthroat fishing has a "reversed hackle" tradition. Reversed hackle spider patterns have been commonly used in the Northwest at least since the 1970's to give a fly more action and keep the hackle from collapsing in the water.

Comment: Watch the marvelous efficiency of Jay's rotary vise tying.

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm

That is a good video. I always start with a Skykomish Sunrise for the Sea Run Cutts (maybe Tenkara this year...) but that is one I am going to have to try now that I have gotten some practice on the reverse hackles.

I would love to have a good quality rotary vise like that too. I am still tying on the second vise I have ever owned, which is just a step up from the standard junk they give you in kits. If I can ever stop buying rods, maybe I can get a new vice :-(
Andrew

Postby yakfisher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

March 11-12 is coming soon. Anyone going to be there?

http://www.nwexpo.com/

Jay
Fast enough to get there but slow enough to see...

Peterberger Bike Adventures
yakfisher

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm

I will be there Saturday.
Andrew

Return to Announcements from Tenkara USA