Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hi everyboby,

Hi everyboby,

Postby strung2tite » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello- New here and to tenkara. I have the 11 ft Iwana. Used it for the first time yesterday, and had a blast. I went again today, to a tighter stream with , and had problems managing line going from hole to hole. I looped the line over a couple times, but it was still getting caught up on bushes and stuff. I did see jason klass's solution. Can anyone tell me how you deal with this?? Thanks..
strung2tite

Re: Hi everyboby,

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:31 pm

If you're walking just short distances, then wrap access line around your hand loosely and walk with the rod pointing forward through possible openings, but if it is a bit longer, the best way will be to collapse the rod, wind line around a good spool (http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info. ... ucts_id/68) and open the rod on the next spot. It will take a little getting used to, but in no time you'll be doing the process very quickly. Takes approximately 30 seconds to collapse the rod and wind line, and 30 seconds to set up again, literally.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Eddie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:38 am

I usually collapse the rod with the line tied to the tip, wrap all the loose end of the line firmly around the rod handle, and then fix the hook point on the cork handle. So, you can put your rod in the backpack.

You do not have to use the rod plug as long as the loose end of the line is firmly wrapped. I have never broken the rod tip.
Eddie

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 am

I sometimes feel like I'm carring a twelve foot step ladder through a China Shop while moving through the brush with the rod extended. Like the others say It's best to collapse and manage the line somehow just to be safe. There's nothing worse then ending a fishing session with a broken rod tip. Better to be safe then sorry. Why not make your own easy to use line holder from a downed branch, tree, antler, rock, or some drift wood? Could even use a sandwich bag if you wanted to.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am

I just carry a extra tip section or a extra rod :ugeek:
Sometimes where I fish you have to go through the woods to move 10 feet. If you wade up stream you will not catch fish you need to stay out of the water and keep moving if you want to catch trout. If I took my rod down every time I move all I would get done is wind line and take a rod down. I think the quickest winding system is the EZ Keepers hands down the best.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

I prefer Namazu!

Or maybe the Sunfish reel fly box.

The EZ keepers are good if you like that sort of contraption.
I would prefer a couple really ancient can pull tabs to EZ keepers.
You can find them along the waters edge after a massive flood unearths them.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am

What I like about EZ Keepers is thay are light and not in the way. They are a great contraption :roll:

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby TheHugbot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am

I just can't get over how awesome adventureR's accessories are! I'm currently using an old line spool that I attacked with a file so it would hold my line.
TheHugbot

Postby strung2tite » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for the responses.
tntom- I was fishing an area as you described. I will first try winding line around hand, as Daniel suggested, then the EZ-Keeper method. I do want to keep it simple and more importantly light.
eddie- For longer aliitle longer bushwacking I think your method is great. Thanks
adventureR- Awsome wood work.
Daniel- Thanks for the quick response. It is great to see you are so active in your business. You seem like you care for the quality of our experience. I truely believe this isnt just money for you, and I am greatful for that. Good luck with your success.
Once again thanks for all of your responses thus far.
strung2tite

Postby vivid_fly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:27 pm

I made these line holders out of some foam and o rings

they are very lightweight and you can even embed the fly for safe transport.

AMAGO 13'6"
YAMAME 12'
IWANA 12'
vivid_fly

Next

Return to General technique