Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hello..I am from Malaysia

Hello..I am from Malaysia

Postby michael-wu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:00 am

Hello to all Tenkara fishermen,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am Michael Gow from Malaysia. I don't know whether you have heard of this little South East Asia country before, but it is a hot and beautiful country without any climate season but only summer throughout the year. She is famous for the Petronas KLCC twin tower and the Sepang F1 circuit, yet also rich with natural mountains and rivers. I stay in Kuala Lumpur, the capital state of Malaysia which exposed me to the world of fly fishing few years back.

I practice bottom fishing, jigging, popping and lure casting before fly fishing. But now seems like fly fishing takes over all my other fishing methods as it is very enjoyable. I am more poisoned to fly fishing when I start to tie some dry flies and able get some fish using them. For me, the joy of getting a fish by dry flies is much more than a normal wet fly, but I don't mean that using wet fly is not enjoyable, it is just my heart feels like bursting when seeing a fish takes the dry fly. (Burst!!! you know what I mean). My first fly fishing gear is a wt5 tackle but soon I switch to a wt3 gear because I feel more enjoyable using a light-weighted tackle to fight a fish yet I am not easily get exhausted by a light-weighted tackle. I do practice Catch-n-Release and I strongly recommend to de-barb the fly hook to minimize the fish injury.

I always wonder is there any fishing method that can perform dry fly in a stream or river and simple. And the most important, more easy to cast (I am not a good fly caster). Then when I read about Tenkara from this website, I am amazed by this fishing technique. So simple (maybe I do not really know the difficulties about Tenkara) yet effective to do stream fishing. I am really interested to know more about Tenkara.

In Malaysia, I know some species of fish that take dry fly such as Sebarau, Sikang (Malaysia Trout), Kelah, Jelawat, lampam and many other stream fish (sorry as I don't know the scientific names for those fish). But I am sure that Tenkara will be effective to them.

For all the Tenkara Experts out there, I am some questions to ask about Tenkara:

1. Any weight rating for Tenkara tackle?
2. What is the initial cost for getting up Tenkara?
3. Any other Malaysian in this forum?

Hope to hear from you soon. Nice to meet you all. Thank you.

Regards,
Michael
michael-wu

Re: Hello..I am from Malaysia

Postby LMarshall » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi Michael,

I can answer your first two questions, although I'm not what you'd call an expert :)

There isn't a weight rating for tenkara rods in the same way that there is for western fly rods. Tenkara rods are classified by a ratio of stiff sections vs. soft sections which gives you an idea of how flexible the rod is. The Iwana for example is classified as a 5:5, so 5 stiff sections, and then 5 flexible sections. There are also 7:3, and 6:4 rods available. All tenkara rods are meant for catching the smaller fish you find in small streams (although that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them to fish larger streams/rivers, and it doesn't mean the gear can't handle larger fish, it's just not intended to). Because they're all intended for the same general purpose, you don't really need a variety of rod and line weights for tenkara. That said, some of the rods are "stronger" than others. Of the TenkaraUSA rods the Yamamme is definitely the beefiest, and the Iwana the lightest. Rod choice will depend on what size fish you are targeting, and your preferences regarding rod length and casting characteristics.

Cost wise, the all the rods that TenkaraUSA has available are less than $200, and the furled lines are $20. Level lines are much cheaper. You can use all the other fly fishing gear you already have with a tenkara rod and line. Since you already have dry and wet flies, and tippet (as long as its 5x or thinner), you don't need to buy anything else besides the rod and line.
LMarshall

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:10 pm

When I hit "preview" I saw that LMarshall already answered most of your questions. I'll go ahead and post what I had written before I read his answer.

Welcome to the forum, Michael. Answering your questions in reverse order, you are not the only Malaysian on the forum, Tony Wee in Port Klang is a tenkara fisherman. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194&p=1188&hilit=malaysia#p1188.

Getting started in tenkara is not very expensive. The Iwana rod is about US$135 and the line is either $13 for the level line or $20 for the furled line. At a minimum, that's all you need. You can use the same flies you use with your fly rod. You can use the same tippet, too, as long as it is 5x or lighter.

Tenkara rods don't have a "weight" rating that is comparable to a fly rod. The rods have a very light, sensitive tip that allows them to cast a line that is very, very light - lighter than a 000 weight line. Essentially, you are casting just a long leader.

I think you'll find that a tenkara rod is very easy to cast - easier than a fly rod, and more intuitive. And yes, it is very simple and very effective. Traditional tenkara fishermen in Japan used wet flies, but many people here in the US use dries and nymphs as well. Being able to keep most of the line off the water allows you to minimize drag, so for me it is much easier to catch fish on dry flies using tenkara instead of a shorter fly rod and heavier line. You will not believe the difference between a tenkara rod and your 5 wt fly rod. Even your 3 wt rod and line will feel heavy compared to a rod like the Iwana.

There's lots of good information on the site and in the forum, and if you have more questions just ask.
CM_Stewart

Postby michael-wu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you LMarshall and CM_Stewart for sharing the information of Tenkara. Yes I know Tony Wee as I have been fly fishing with him. Look like I can really practice Tenkara fishing in Malaysia since there is a accompanion in Malaysia as I also know some places in South and East Coast of Malaysia that have the streams for doing Tenkara.

But back to some technical inquiries about the rod, the ratio of 5:5, 7:3 and 6:4, does it mean that all Tenkara rod comes in 10 sections? About the furled line, is the line furled tapered or just furled in level? As I know in Fly fishing, we have tapered furled leader for the loop to open nicely. For your information, some of Malaysian fly fishermen start to use tapered furled leader as they are making the furled leader themselve. Thanks to some kind fly fishermen who are willing to share the ideas of making furled leader.

By the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you LMarshall and CM_Stewart. Hopefully I can start Tenkara fishing in 2010!
michael-wu

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:05 am

Michael,

Most of the Tenkara USA rods have 9 segments. The 11' Iwana has 8. It would probably be better to think of the action index as a percentage rather than the precise number of segments.

The furled lines are tapered. It is possible to make a level furled line, but all the ones I have ever seen for sale are tapered.

Many people on the forum have much more experience in making furled leaders than I have, but my only suggestions are 1) Use a high visibility material, like fluorescent chartreuse or fire orange thread, or golden Stren mono. Some people prefer thread, and some prefer mono. Try both. 2) If you start making your own, do not expect that you can make only one or two and then stop. It's like tying flies (or tenkara fishing). Once you start it is very hard to stop.
CM_Stewart

Postby tonywee » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 am

HI CM_Stewart, LMarshall and especially Michael, a fellow Malaysian.

Have been pretty busy and have not come into the forum for sometime. Glad that our American Tenkara brothers [in arms :) ] have come to Michael's aid.

I had some initial problems getting my Tenkara USA rods, but is now the happy owner of an Iwana and an Ebisu. One took a very circuitous route from USA to London and then finally to Port Klang in Malaysia, while the other took a more direct route with the assistance of Daniel :D .

I use the Iwana 11 footer 5:5 for fishes like the Sikang (Barillus guttatus or Burmese trout) and Tengas Daun (Accrossocheilus deauratus) in the hill streams, while the 12 footer Ebisu 6:4 is used for bashing (the rod I mean :) ) small estuary archer fishes and the Ikan Puyus, which are our equivalent of the small bluegills stateside, I guess. There are many other "warm water" species to be "Tenkaraed" in our part of the world for sure. All thats needed is more fly fishos to get into Tenkara.

So if Michael can contact me, we can perhaps form a Malaysian Tenkara group.... rgds.
tonywee

Postby rockyc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Tony,

sorry to disturb but I anm a new bee that very interested In stream fishing, aside that I am looking for a tenkara rod. any chance that we can get in Malaysia?

would like to seek for your advise as well from your great experience.

thank you.
rockyc

Return to Tenkara Asia