Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

First try of a Tenkara rod

First try of a Tenkara rod

Postby TonyB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi from Tony in Canberra Australia,

I had the good fortune to try a Tenkara Yamame rod last weekend and absolutely loved the experience, I am currently researching which rod is best for my needs, though at the moment I am tempted to get one of the smaller ultra light Hane rod from BPL, the next batch will be available for pre-purchase as of tomorrow.

I love that it was easy and fast to reduce its size, which in difficult country allows easy movement to the next pool.

Below are some pictures from last weekend, most of the fishing was in a boulder filled gorge, this was fairly hard going and the as it was a hot summer day the fish where not biting that well, we had more luck later in the day and earlier in the morning next day, In the short time that I fished with the Tenkara I landed two small rainbows, my mate Dave landed about twenty trout all up.

I have also posted a few photos from other trips to show what the rivers are like in the area that I fish.

Tony

My Mate Dave fishing in the granite boulder filled gorge
Dave changing his tippet in a beautiful place
A pool at the top of the gorge
This is our special backcountry river spot, we pulled out 3 big brown trout out of this section
One of the big browns
This is part of a river that is one of the best fishing spots in the country, it is very remote and the easiest way to travel is in the river itself, it is not unusual to catch 50 trout in an afternoon, one trip we caught 150 in an afternoon and morning.
Man responds to the world as he perceives it, not as it is. Borg
TonyB

Re: First try of a Tenkara rod

Postby erik.ostrander » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Great first post! What species of trout are found in Australia?
erik.ostrander

Postby TonyB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Erik,

erik.ostrander wrote:Great first post! What species of trout are found in Australia?

There are three species of trout found in Australia, Brown, Rainbow and Brook. Rainbow Trout are the most common, Brook Trout are much harder to find.

Rainbow Trout where introduced from America in 1894, Brown Trout where introduced from the United Kingdom in 1864.

Tony
TonyB

Postby Morgan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Tony,

Great photos -- looks like a terrific place to fish and ideal for a tenkara rod.
Morgan

Postby craigprice » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 am

Tony,
I have both a Yamame and 11' Iwana at present, and have ordered an Ayu and 12' Iwana. If you are interested in seeking any feedback or just want to chat, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. I'm in Melbourne. I can give you some pointers on lines also, if interested. I used both level and Daniel's furled lines.

kind regards
Craig Price
craigprice

Postby michaelacard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey Tony,

Very cool and thanks for the post. Beautiful country and stout looking fish.

Thanks again.

Michael
Portland, OR
michaelacard

Postby rsetina » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome Tony! Looks like some great water and the Brown Trout is very nice. I assume it was caught on the Tenkara rod? The Yamame handled it well, I'm sure.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby TonyB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:41 pm

I would like to thank everyone at Tenkara forum for their welcome and nice comments.

rsetina wrote:Welcome Tony! Looks like some great water and the Brown Trout is very nice. I assume it was caught on the Tenkara rod? The Yamame handled it well, I'm sure.

Hi Rick,

The big browns where caught on traditional rods, my mate Dave only brought his Yamame back from the US a week and a half ago. I have a Tenkara Hana on order from Back Packing Light which is due to arrive in February, I am saving up for the longer Yamame. I look forward to trying to catch one of the big browns on a Tenkara soon.

Tony
TonyB

Postby rsetina » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey Tony,

One of those big browns would have been fun on the Yamame. I'll be looking forward to your post after you get your rod.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jeffkreager » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

That is very beautiful country you are fishing. It's 15-20 degrees below freezing here and all of the water is frozen. Mind if I say I'm jealous? Keep the wonderful photos coming though. They'll keep my blood pumping until spring.
jeffkreager

Next

Return to Tenkara Australia / New Zealand