The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Pesca alla Valsesiana

Re: Pesca alla Valsesiana

Postby Valsesia » Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 am

I am very happy for your interest in the fishing Valsesiana and thank you for the page in your great site ,to answer your question Chris, I can say that there is no rule, but I for example normally fish in this way:
for a rod of 4 meters i fish with a line of horsehair of 4,5 meters then there is a tippet about one meter and then the first fly ( i fish with four fly at a distance of 30 cm one to the other).
but then again there isn't a rule all depends on the space you have behind and the skill of the fisherman to lanch the line without tangle the flies.
In a tiny river with many plants for example, I reduces this length, while when I fish in the most extensive of Sesia use a rod with a length of 5 meters and a line + tippet also of 8 meters in all .
Valsesia

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri May 21, 2010 5:52 am

Hi Andrea,

i think that there are no special "pesca alla valsesiana" rods. Do you use normal pole rods? Who is the producer of the rods?

Best regards
Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby Valsesia » Sat May 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi Ronald,
We become hard to find fishing rods real perfect for Valsesiana because like I explaine probably remains fifteen anglers that fish with this tecnique and if there is no market the producer don't made it.
Today is possible buy rods imported from China good enough , I don't now the name of the producer because there are no label on .
I hope that in future will be find best rods for Valsesiana , the last year I bought a rod Shimano for fly fishing of 5 meters ( is a bit long but I use it in larger sections of the river and lets me get too far);great rod but always a bit soft for Valsesiana and I use this with horseline very light i try also a level line made of fluorocarbon but I always prefer horseline especially with the wind.
Valsesia

Postby Wupperfischer » Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Andrea,

many thanks for the response.
What about using the poles which where designed for the competions fisher? They are stiff.

http://www.trabucco.it/PDF-2009-it/01_Canne/Telescopiche%20Fisse.pdf
http://www.tubertini.it/PDF2010/02_Canne_Fisse.pdf

Best regards
Ronald
Wupperfischer

Postby CM_Stewart » Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 pm

My first attempt at pesca alla Valsesiana was a resounding success!

I guess I should start by saying what I was doing probably wasn't pesca alla Valsesiana as the Valsesians would recognize it, but it was a lot of fun and very productive.

A friend wanted to go bass fishing at a nearby pond so we took his canoe. He fished all day with a spinning rod and Senkos and caught lots of bass and a few large bluegills. I fished most of the day with my Amago and a cast of four Valsesian-style flies and caught lots of large bluegills (not as large as rvrgzr's of course) and a few modest bass. Bluegills just love Valsesian-style flies. Look closely at this guy's mouth. How did he do that? I must be getting slow.

Valsesian-style flies are pretty similar to the sakasa kebari tenkara flies, but have a colorful body of either floss or tying thread. Andrea has an excellent picture of one here: http://www.tenkarabum.com/pesca-alla-valsesiana1.html

The Amago isn't as stiff as the Valesian rods, but because of it's length seems to work quite well as long as the line is matched to the rod. I used a 14' horsehair line tapered from three hairs at the tippet end to nine hairs at the rod end, and could easily have cast a line one segment longer (16' tapered up to ten hairs). The Yamame is stiffer but shorter, and so is probably at least a little bit closer to the rods they would use on more modest sized streams. For warm water fishing, I really like the Amago's length and 6:4 action.
CM_Stewart

Postby Valsesia » Sun May 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Great Chris,
can not imagine how happy I am that you've tried the style of fly fishing Valsesiana,
you have fun and many catch (amazing in that photo!) and think that you start thinking what you do when you're an expert.
Now I want to tell you one thing, there are no manuals to learn the technique to launch in fly fishing Valsesiana , each of us develops his own special way to launch that in the past when so many yet fished with "Valsesiana" from a distance on the river was possible to distinguish from each fisherman for the particular style to launch.
There isn't a right way and a wrong in launching "Valsesiana" the important thing is to send the fly where the fish is and present it in the most natural way possible.
Do is try and try again. I'd like to put a video on youtube of fishing "Valsesiana" to give more information and a clear idea of what is this fishing .(I hope to do it soon)
To answer to Ronald I don't now the poles which where designed for the competions fisher but
I sure must inform about it thanks.
Valsesia

Postby bennegord » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:53 am

i just found a video that shows Valsesiana fishing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAGjYkoJ9PY
bennegord

Postby Valsesia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 pm

It is crazy guys, I posted a video about the valsesiana fly fishing to test the site I am preparing and within hours someone had already discovered and reported!Well I hope that the interest is really so great on this technique of fly fishing , because the site will be soon online and is entirely dedicated to Valsesiana fly fishing and finally you will get to know this ancient technique of fishing also with photo and video! You will have news soon.
Valsesia

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Why was it removed? Was very interested in watching it.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Valsesia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm happy you find it so interesting, but you have to wait a little longer(the site about valsesiana is almost finished) because I want to be ready the texts where you can read the interviews with the last fishermen who still fish with "valsesiana" that can describe our technique to make you understand better what you see in the video .Still a little patience, you will not be disappointed.
Valsesia

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Europe