Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Pesca alla Valsesiana

Pesca alla Valsesiana

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri May 22, 2009 4:25 am

Flyfishing with a fixed line has in Europe a long tradition. In Italy is a region where the people still fish in this way. It is called “Pesca alla Valsesiana”. The interesting thing is, that they use tapered horsehair lines and wetflies with reversed hackles. I think this is quiet similar to the japanese tenkara style.

Here are two links. Unfortunately there isn´t much in the net about “Pesca alla Valsesiana”
http://www.svps.it/pesca/link3.html
http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/valsesia.htm#
I found a book which I haven´t read. I think i have to learn italien:

Dionigi, Renzo; Storti Storchi, Claudia
La pesca alla valsesiana: tracce di storia della pesca nella tradizione scritta e orale della Valsesia
Pavia, Cardano, 2002

Ronald
Wupperfischer

Re: Pesca alla Valsesiana

Postby rsetina » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Apparently simplicity is key in many places around the world.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Wupperfischer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:21 am

I found an other article about old italien flyfishing technic:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=20011115&id=gPkjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yggEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3741,8271135

And another link to traditional italien flies which are very simular to tenkara-flies:
http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page43.html
Wupperfischer

Postby Wupperfischer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 am

Wupperfischer

Postby LMarshall » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:16 am

Neat stuff!

Those flies look really easy to tie, I'll have to give them a shot!
LMarshall

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Babelfish translation of an Italian forum post about tenkara:

Fascinating technique the Japanese Tenkara. Much similar one to our Valsesiana, boasts also he ancient origins. And ' state used for centuries from fishermen professionals, while to the days ours are a method of indeed effective peach for Japanese waters. It is taken advantage of the long, lightest and flessuose canes much. An obtained tail from horse horsehair now constitutes the lenza (also in fluorine of the 0,33) and a end of approximately a meter in nylon, the tippet. It crafts them, a solo for the precision, are much similar to of the spider, with the hackles but, turned in ahead. Also in Italy we have the cultori of this technique. My friend Ryuta Okano is between these and hopes to see it all' opening to volteggiare in our rivers.

Trying to get information about pesca alla Valsesiana is almost exactly like it was here two years ago trying to get information about tenkara. Almost all the information is in a foreign language, and computerized translation is just this side of useless. You end up sifting through an awful lot of chaff to find just a few kernels of information.
________

Blog of a Japanese tenkara angler living in Italy: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... start%3D30
CM_Stewart

Postby wrknapp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Great posts, great looking flies.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 am

Wupperfischer

Postby Anthony » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:02 am

This is so cool. I find the info on this thread just fascinating, as a budding Tenkara Enthusiast and as someone with Italian Heritage (my last name is Naples, surprisingly it is Italian, - however I'm really only 1/8 Italian).

Thanks for sharing
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby Morgan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm

It really is remarkable how similar tenkara and valsesiana are. Could they have really developed independently, right down to the 12-14 foot telescoping rod and reversed hackles?
Morgan

Next

Return to Tenkara Europe