Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Freeing stuck segments

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Freeing stuck segments

Postby CraigP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:10 pm

finally experienced this stuck section thing. Chris's matt wouldn't budge the tip from next section either. But daniels rubber band trick, using my laminated licence on a rock as base, worked a treat in 3 goes. thanks!
CraigP

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:52 pm

I've had stuck segments that the Tip Grip was able to free, but I did once have one that was so stuck it wouldn't. Daniel's method worked in that case. I would try the Tip Grip first just because it is easier and often works.

Using a laminated license to cushion the segment so it isn't chewed up from hitting it on a rock is a good idea, though.

Perhaps I should start giving away rubber bands. (Who ever thought you'd need an instruction sheet to use a rubber band, though?)
CM_Stewart

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:28 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:I've had stuck segments that the Tip Grip was able to free, but I did once have one that was so stuck it wouldn't. Daniel's method worked in that case. I would try the Tip Grip first just because it is easier and often works.

Using a laminated license to cushion the segment so it isn't chewed up from hitting it on a rock is a good idea, though.

Perhaps I should start giving away rubber bands. (Who ever thought you'd need an instruction sheet to use a rubber band, though?)

Like Apple should have sent a paper clip with instructions with all their old Macs. :lol:

Amazing a multi-thousand $ computer needed a paper clip with a leg bent out to reset a frozen Mac.

So tenkara has the rubber band. Cool!

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Thomis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 pm

I was fishing this morning where I had a snag in a tree. I always take my time with tangles and tree snags. Well I was able to disconnect my braided line from my rod tip and pull the line down with the end my fly was attached to. Everything was good right. Well, somehow my rod tip had gone back down inside the tube with the Lilian first and it was stuck. I knew that if I pushed with anything metal that would be the end of the segments.

I was going to head home, but I found some sticks the right size and cut off their ends to make them clean and more dowel like. They had to be the perfect size or they would not work. I worked it at slowly with my homemade dowel. I was able to get it free, but it had been super stuck.

Anyone else ever have a problem like this?
Thomis
lifefliesandtrout.com
Thomis

Postby erik.ostrander » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I've got two pairs of Ito tip segments stuck. They are free to the person that can get them unstuck
erik.ostrander

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

somehow my rod tip had gone back down inside the tube with the Lilian first and it was stuck.

Sometimes the lillian may fold onto the tip and cause the tip to get stuck inside. The best way to fix that is to open the rod through the back, remove the tip, and reinsert it - I like to insert it back while spinning it to prevent the lillian from bending onto the rod tip.

I've got two pairs of Ito tip segments stuck. They are free to the person that can get them unstuck

We have seen a few, not a whole lot, of Ito tips becoming hopelessly stuck. It's something we have fixed for tips going forward, and hopefully will not happen as much.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 pm

A pair of my wife's rubber dishpan gloves helped me once with a super tight segment.

Having double leverage, rubber glove on each segment, sure did the trick for me.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Skinhead » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am

Rightly or wrongly, on all of my rods of any type that have multiple sections, I apply ferrule (candle) wax to the joints. The only time I've had a stuck section was about 37 years ago, and that was down to youthful stupidity on my part.
シモン
Skinhead

Postby houghland1966 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:21 am

I got the top section of my Iwana stuck last year, I tried everything. In desperation I poured freezing water over the male section and boiling water over the female section and it worked. There turned out to be some contamination in the joints, I make sure I regularly take the rod apart and clean it and I haven't had the problem since.

I'd only use my method as a last resort if all others have failed as I'm not sure if boiling water my harm the rod.
houghland1966

Postby chuck_1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Hey there.

So I seem to have a different problem than I've seen discussed here. I have the Rhodo rod, which has been great. Only taken it out twice but have landed a handful of trout and small mouths. Anyways, I decided to get the tape measure out to see what the actual length is, which seems to be several inches shorter than labeled, no biggie there.

The real biggie is that the segment that opens it from 9'9" to 10'6" will not budge. I don't believe it has ever opened fully as stream side I've only used the slightest pressure.
Now at home I've tried everything from rubber bands for grip on the shaft to taking the back cap off and using a chopstick while knocking that on a table to try and push it out of the connected segment.
Has anyone had to deal with this on an adjustable length rod? The segments in the butt section of these rods with different fishing lengths go together a little different than the rest of the rod.

I gotta say I kind of regret not just going with a fixed length 12ft rod as I don't think I've ever used this at anything but as long as it would open and there are a few times I definitely could've used a couple more feet.
Attachments
IMG_3135.JPG
stuck section
chuck_1

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods