Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Freeing stuck segments

Discussion on tenkara rods

Freeing stuck segments

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

This is a very simple method that should be used if you have a hard time freeing the segments of our rods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRn5SLgRrA
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Freeing stuck segments

Postby eagles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Interesting Daniel. I do have a question . Was there a reason you did not demonstrate this with an actual rod that was stuck ? On the rod it would have to be the handle section hitting down on the table etc .
eagles

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:15 am

The thicker segments don't get stuck nearly as often (I still haven't had one). But the main reason is that if they do get stuck, it's much easier to push the thicker segments in, or just tap them on a table, since there is very little danger of putting enough sideway pressure to break the thicker segments.The rubber band method can be done for a thicker segment too, it will be the same thing, but I doubt it will ever be necessary.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:01 am

To use this method when you get a stuck section in an actual rod, unscrew the butt screw and take out the stuck sections. Then proceed as Daniel shows in the video using only the two sections that are stuck together. The main concern I have with this method (even though it does work), is that when you get a stuck section you might not have a nice, flat, hard surface available. I wouldn't want to do it on a streamside rock.

Edited to add that after having to use this method myself to free a stuck segment, I now think it is safer to use more than just the two stuck segments. The second or third segments are still pretty fragile, and having the larger segments to support them reduces the chance for breakage.
CM_Stewart

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks Chris, I think I misunderstood the question a little, and now realize I should have shown the whole rod (opening it, etc), but I had those two segments lying around when we were learning the method.
Yes, that's something that may not be so easy to do on the stream side, and I will use it as a last resort method.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Anthony » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 am

Well, I've got the top two sections of my Ebisu hopelessly stuck. This method looked very promising but I gave it a college try and they're still stuck. What else can I try?

The kids were using the rod - so I'd like to blame them for this problem, but It might have been me....
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:30 am

Nah, must have been the kids.

I'll send you a Tip Grip.
CM_Stewart

Postby Bamboozle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 am

I am a rank beginner in this Tenkara thing but I decided to wax the joints of my rod with paraffin before I ever went fishing with it.

The first thing I noticed was how LITTLE pressure is needed to extend the rod sections. I barely have to pull them for a snug fit. As a matter of fact I just pull them until I feel the slightest resistance.

So far, no issues and I really can't imagine ever having stuck segments.

We'll see...
Bamboozle

Postby Anthony » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 am

Two words (well three really); bottom-snags and trees. I suspect my problem resulted from a tree snag. I had a tree snag and then my nephew had a tree snag - both were high enough that I couldn't reach the line and had to pull on the rod to free the line (by breaking the tipppet). I've also had instances where I've had bottom snags, and due to the depth of the water, i couldn't get close enough to pull on the line, and have had to pull on the rod more than is healthy.

By the way the Tip Grip that I got from Tenkara Bum Christ Stewart did the trick.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby LeGrand » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Anthony wrote:...By the way the Tip Grip that I got from Tenkara Bum Christ Stewart did the trick.

I cut a square piece of those undermats (full of square holes, and slightly cushionny) you place under kitchen carpets (2' x 3') so they don't slide on tyle floors.
LeGrand

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods