Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara rods

Discussion on tenkara rods

Tenkara rods

Postby carlz » Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 am

I see posts all over about the better Tenkara rod. Using Tenkara rods to catch carp, and other larger game fish. I have to wonder, what the Japanese mountain fisherman would have fished for years ago? It was my understanding that Tenkara was inteneed for smaller fish in the mountain streams. That they used bamboo rods. I have only fished a bamboo rod a few times (using a friends). But would have to think that today's carbon fiber rods have to be superior to the bamboo rods of years ago. So if we use the rods as intended by the Japanese fisherman of years ago, that even a cheaper carbon fiber rod, must be superior of the early bamboo rods? Am I mistaken? Would love to hear others views?
carlz

Re: Tenkara rods

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 am

Hi Carlz, I would not equate a cheapie telescopic tenkara like rod to a bamboo rod at all. Bamboo would be much stronger than a low grade carbon rod IMHO. I guess all depends on what you mean by cheap. $20 ebay special or $100 from a real tenkara company that sources quality materials for their builds.

Typically there is a reason 1 rod is $20 while others are $100. Same goes for mechanics tools. Sure you can find the occasional tool at Harbor Freight that is 1/2 way decent but most the stuff is just not well made and I don't trust my knuckles on a $2 wrench. :lol:

Just my opinion.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby carlz » Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reply TJ! Years ago, I wanted to learn how to kig weld. I bought a Harbor Freight might welder on auction site. Everyone I asked to look at my welds told me To throw that welder away and get a brand name welder. So I did! But even with the brand name welder, my welds still looked like a bird crapped on it. I do have both, the under $20.00 rod and the $100.00 rod. But since I have purchased most of my gear by mail-order or on the net and haven't had the opportunity to try any tenkara rods, I don't have anything to compare them to!

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:Hi Carlz, I would not equate a cheapie telescopic tenkara like rod to a bamboo rod at all. Bamboo would be much stronger than a low grade carbon rod IMHO. I guess all depends on what you mean by cheap. $20 ebay special or $100 from a real tenkara company that sources quality materials for their builds.

Typically there is a reason 1 rod is $20 while others are $100. Same goes for mechanics tools. Sure you can find the occasional tool at Harbor Freight that is 1/2 way decent but most the stuff is just not well made and I don't trust my knuckles on a $2 wrench. :lol:

Just my opinion.

TJ
carlz

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 pm

carlz wrote:Thanks for the reply TJ! Years ago, I wanted to learn how to kig weld. I bought a Harbor Freight might welder on auction site. Everyone I asked to look at my welds told me To throw that welder away and get a brand name welder. So I did! But even with the brand name welder, my welds still looked like a bird crapped on it. I do have both, the under $20.00 rod and the $100.00 rod. But since I have purchased most of my gear by mail-order or on the net and haven't had the opportunity to try any tenkara rods, I don't have anything to compare them to!

Trade shows are a great way to wiggle different tenkara rods. Maybe one will be near you at some point. Where are you located?

I see from past posts you attended the Mid-West fly Fishing Expo. My guess you were able to test many rods there to see differences. In the end, buy and use what you enjoy. If it does not break all the time and you like it, cool! I just can't compare low end carbon rods with any quality bamboo rod from days gone by. But it is all relative I suppose.

Other fellow members are a great resource. Many are happy to meet locals and yap about tenkara. Maybe one will be in your neck of the woods. Ask around on Facebook tenkara groups.

There are a nice handful of tenkara companies now and many offer decent gear. I trust them over any ebay or amazon special. Sure a cheap rod may work but I would try to attend a show that has a tenkara company present so you can test a rod, or try to meet up with folks. That is a fun way.

Tenkara USA attends many shows all year. We even have our Tenkara Summit every year or two. Big event, all tenkara, and would make a super fun trip for many folks interested in tenkara.

TJ

btw, I love Harbor Freight... but I do my homework on garage sites and see feedback from others before I plunk down money on tools there. Some are quite good. But odds are I still about get what I pay for. Say no to 5mil rubber gloves. Those things fall apart.... but their 7mil are decent. I been using them on my VW brake job lately and work well.

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby carlz » Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Hey, TJ! I am in Michigan. I did email you guys to see if you would attend the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo? Like I said in my email. My fishing buddy and I have attended the show for years (I like to collect the show pins). Was hoping to see you or any tenkara suppliers at the show. But would even like it better to attend a seminar at the expo on tenkara? We also attend the Fly Fishing Show in Grand Rapids, Mi. Since it growing in leaps and bounds. From different forums and on line post, there seems to be a lot of tenkara fisherman (or like myself...attempers) in this area, so I am surprised not to see any tenkara venues at these shows.
carlz

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun May 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Indeed, many shows out there.

We do our best to spread around and do as many shows we can.

Maybe one day it is an event our founder will look at.

;-)

TJ

carlz wrote:Hey, TJ! I am in Michigan. I did email you guys to see if you would attend the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo? Like I said in my email. My fishing buddy and I have attended the show for years (I like to collect the show pins). Was hoping to see you or any tenkara suppliers at the show. But would even like it better to attend a seminar at the expo on tenkara? We also attend the Fly Fishing Show in Grand Rapids, Mi. Since it growing in leaps and bounds. From different forums and on line post, there seems to be a lot of tenkara fisherman (or like myself...attempers) in this area, so I am surprised not to see any tenkara venues at these shows.

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I am a little late in putting in my opinion but here it is.

I own a Bamboo Fly rod, have fished several, and own many Tenkara Rods and tried even more.

The difference from Rods made years ago and now is material. Same as then and now, what separates the quality of rods today, as in the past, is the design & attention to detail. The best materials assembled without great design and attention to detail will still result in a poorly functioning rod that does not last. I have purchased state of the art fishing gear that only lasted 3 seasons, and have spent afternoons on the water with an old timer still fishing fathers bamboo rod.

To me: a company that has built a reputation to protect, is willing to stand behind its product, commit to their customers experience and, has committed to an everlasting business plan, will be prime indicators of their commitment to using quality materials, build lasting quality rods, and pay every attention to details they can.

I don't know if this input is helpful. I do find myself grateful of the time I have been able to spend fishing my Tenkara USA rods for years now.
tsegelke

Postby Vidran » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Love it. I use mine when I am fishing with my kids. It allows me to fish and the ease of setting down to tend their poles is a lot easier. Small stream fishing is awesome. I have a 10 foot rod and can properly fish out to 20 feet away. I have found the best success working the river like would with a spinning rod.

One thing I learned the hard way, you absolutely need a long handled net. There really isn’t a yarding them onto the back with how soft the rods are. You will find yourself in some pretty strange yoga poses landing your fish. Wet flies and nymphs are very challenging. Regular dry flies work just as well as the expensive Tenkara flies. You can fish a line a few feet longer than your rod, but the longer the line the more stretched out you need to be to land your fish. My favorite cast is just a roll cast. Lastly, it is a very light rod, you will have to get wet with hard fighting fish. So be prepared to chase them.

While the rod itself is very simple, it does have a pretty big learning curve. I found it more like bead drifting than fly fishing.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It seems, in fact, as though the second half of a man`s life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half. All the best Kayak Coach
Vidran

Return to Tenkara Rods