Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Dakota Angler's New T-USA Hane Rod Review

Discussion on tenkara rods

Dakota Angler's New T-USA Hane Rod Review

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am

There is a new rod kid on the block at T-USA, and here is the first rod review I was able to find. Enjoy....Karl. https://shop.flyfishsd.com/blogs/product-review/new-tenkara-usa-hane-rod
Karl Klavon

Re: Dakota Angler's New T-USA Hane Rod Review

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 am

And here is another Hane Rod Review from Tenkara Angler - giving a little more background on the tweaking of the first prototypes to production rods: https://tenkaraangler.com/2018/04/06/the-tenkara-usa-hane-adventure-rod/
Karl Klavon

Postby flyfishbeck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 am

My wife and kids bought me the Hane for my birthday (along with a new TUSA net). I'm supposed to receive it Wednesday. I can't wait.

-FFB
TUSA Sato (2015)
7:3 Willow and Cane (2015)
Runa Hisano Fujin 11.8' (2015)
(Too many Western rods to list.) (since 1990)
flyfishbeck

Postby Fueco » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:10 pm

I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I was looking into a shorter rod for carrying on longer hikes, one that won't be sticking out of the top of my daypack like my Rhodo does. I'm sort of wondering why the Hane weighs more than the Rhodo though, given that it's not a zoom rod. Is it just because it has more segments?

Not that those 1.4 ounces are going to kill me, but lighter is better for some of the stuff I'm pondering up in the Rockies this summer.
Fueco

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 am

Fueco, yes the Hane is a beefy little rod with 10 segments, different handle material too, versus only 8 for the Rhodo. Two different beasts. In other words, I would take the Hane to a bass contest before the Rhodo, as the Rhodo is a bit more delicate and lite weight. Small tight streams I prefer the Rhodo.... larger fish or packability, the Hane.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Fueco » Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks TJ. I'm still debating the Hane as a second rod. I'll be out of the country until early June. Maybe I'll order it before I come back so it's waiting...

I'm still pondering bringing the Rhodo and hitting up some streams in the Canadian Rockies. ;)
Fueco

Postby Adam Trahan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 pm

I'll be using my Hane in a few weeks to travel to Kauai and fish for the rainbows up at the top of Waimea Canyon. There is an old planting of trout there and it sounds like a great adventure to go find and catch them.

I'm bringing exactly one rod and will use one fly pattern.

Super excited!

Thanks for the links and the reading.

The Hane is a really nice rod, so are all the other Tenkara USA rods.

I can see where TJ says it's a beefy rod, I like the Hane because it is a lot like the type of Japanese rods that I have used (along with my Tenkara USA rods) in the past.

I have only have 6 rods in my quiver now (Rhodo, Sato, Ito, Amago, Iwana and the Hane) and the Hane gets travel and adventure duty.

I'm still learning and I really like the variety of rods that Daniel has offered to us.
Adam Trahan

Postby Monkey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm

May as well chuck my review in on the Hane in to the ring as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37bVQf-qWU

Cracking rod, Already had so many great trips out with it... my next challenge is to get a pike on it... had a test cast today with a 4 inch fly that should be enough to get a 3-6lb jack to have a go.
Monkey

Return to Tenkara Rods