Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Ito flex rating

Discussion on tenkara rods

Ito flex rating

Postby Chindit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Howdoo from Lancashire, first post and question. Rather fancy an Ito rod, cos of the length as I fish a big lake in the English Lake District. The target species are small brown trout, very wily an fast and spooky. I can catch on standard 7 weight trad rods and reels but I like the tenkara approach for it's lovely simplicity of fly presentation. However , is the Ito rod 7:3 ,,or,6:4? I do not seem to be able to access this info on this rod's specification on the tenk-usa site, although it may be myself not pushing de right buttons. Any advice is gratefully received, an regards to all the American cousins.Cheers.Anton Mannion
Chindit

Re: Ito flex rating

Postby dwalker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 pm

Chindit wrote:Howdoo ... , is the Ito rod 7:3 ,,or,6:4? I do not seem to be able to access this info on this rod's specification on the tenk-usa site, ...

I believe they have migrated away from listing the 7:3, 6:4, 5:5 type classifications for several reasons. Perhaps among them that too often people would think of the ratio as specifying how soft or stiff a rod is. Which it does not. The ratio only tells you the curve or bend the rod takes under load. Not how stiff or soft the rod is. And the ratio rating is subjective, that is not standardized from one manufacturer to another. One company's 6:4 rod would frequently not bend the same as another company's 6:4 rod.

That being said, the Ito was originally listed as a 6:4 action rod. And as you can see in this archived webpage, (from 2012) they rated it as a 6:4 rod, but softer than the 5:5 Ayu rod. Also it is possible that how the Ito is now manufactured, it may have changed. I think the ratio is also different at the two different lengths.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120706050042/http://www.tenkarausa.com:80/product_info.php/products_id/125

If you look at Tom Davis' Rod Flex Index, in his test he rates the two lengths differently. At 4.5m 4:6, and at 3.9m as 5:5.

http://tetontenkara.blogspot.com/p/rod-flex-index-chart.html

Not sure if this helped or further confused the answer. Good luck with your rod choice.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Chindit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for that briefing dwalker, yeh that explanation makes a lot of sense to me, I dig that. Tight Lines .Chindit.
Chindit

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Chindit, yes we moved away from the old 5:5 6:4 7:3 stuff.

If you need to lump it under one of those, I would say at 13' length it would be similar to a 6:4 and fully opened to 14'7" a tad softer someplace between 5:5 and 6:4

I would consider the Ito an midlfex rod and has decent backbone to go after trout 20" give or take. Plenty of trout caught larger than that as well as plenty small trout equally fun on the Ito as it is a nice sensitive rod.

I love mine for great reach!

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Rods