Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Rookie

Discussion on tenkara rods

Tenkara Rookie

Postby Belizaire » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

Hello Tenkara Flymasters! I am retired and just discovered/joined this site recently. I moved to San Antonio 5 months ago from Baton Rouge, LA. Before the move, I sold my bay boat and much of my inshore saltwater gear. I have some experience with Western fly fishing many years ago. I kept some inshore gear for possible guided trips to the Texas gulf coast, but I am looking for fishing fun closer to home. I stumbled across Tenkara on the internet and it looks like “anytime” fun fishing… keep rod in car… stop by a stream… fish a few minutes or a few hours… drive home… etc… not looking to target a specific fish and not looking for “monster” anything. I am considering starting with a Teknara USA Sato because…1) seems like a good versatile rod for small rivers in the Texas Hill Country… 2) the company’s reputation for quality products… 3) warranty and customer service… I will certainly need some advice along the way (places, rods, lines, flies, accessories, techniques, etc) so hopefully this is a good place for that. Is anyone here a Texas Hill County fisherman who might recommend a different rig for waters there?
Belizaire

Re: Tenkara Rookie

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Belizaire, welcome.

The Sato is indeed a practical rod for many situations, so you can't really go wrong with it. Adjustable to fish in 3 lengths so can come in handy.

Easiest thing to do is by the $44 Starter Set we sell and match that to the Sato rod (on backorder for about 2 weeks... maybe a little longer... as we just ran out of stock recently and have a new batch arriving soon).

Maybe add a few more flies to the order and you are set.

Our Tenkara the Book that Daniel came out with last year is the definitive source about tenkara so well worth the $24 so you may want to get that too.

Online we have tons of free videos so watch as many as you can.

Otherwise, ask questions as they arise.

We are also a phone call away if you need to chat.

Regards

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Belizaire » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for the reply TJ. I do not see a $44 starter kit on your site.
Belizaire

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Here is the link to the $44 Starter Kit.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/shop/product_ ... cts_id/191

Regards

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Rods